• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Remembering John Lennon

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was 30 years ago today that John Lennon was murdered in front of his apartment in New York City. He was one of the best of all-time.

YouTube - Imagine - John Lennon

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I remember that day. I can't believe it's been 30 years.

I remember listening to Woman after he died, and thinking how the lyrics must have taken on a whole new meaning for Yoko at that point. :sad:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sad to think about the songs John Lennon might have recorded over the past three decades. RIP. That's what I think of when I hear Imagine.

Here's hoping a guard gives another inmate a stick and lets him beat the hell out of Mark David Chapman today.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I can't believe its been 30 years either. Where did time go?

I have mixed feelings on Lennon. First, he certainly was one of the greatest musicians ever. The one thing that has always bugged me about Lennon was he was such an ass to Julian, from what I've read. I remember an interview with Julian where he said the tv was broadcasting this million dollar Christmas that John and Yoko gave to their son while he and his mom were living in poverty in England.

However, another thing that I've recently come to admire about Lennon is the positive influence in a troublesome time. I recently saw an interview with someone that was very active in the 60s and he described the calming role that 'Revolution' had and how it really turned a lot of people away from violence. Other songs were similarly positive.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't really associate the 8th of December with John Lennon's death so much as I associate the 7th of December as Pearl Harbor Day. While I wasn't much of a Lennon fan or a Beatles fan, not that I dislike them they weren't bad, I do feel for him and his family, just like it's sad to see anyone die. Yesterday just affected me much more than today I guess is what I am trying to say.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I was obviously not alive back when Lennon was killed, but I feel for his fans.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I googled and found this:
Death of John Lennon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Still dunno why he shot that dude cause it didn't say in the article. That's really weird to just shoot someone like that! They shouldn't ever let that guy outa prison, period.
That first song was really interesting but I couldn't play that other link. *confused* It just sent me to another GF page.
Anyway, I do agree with CaptainObvious. I studied the Pearl Harbor thing and that was like mass murder. It's really horrible what people do sometimes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't believe its been 30 years either. Where did time go?

I have mixed feelings on Lennon. First, he certainly was one of the greatest musicians ever. The one thing that has always bugged me about Lennon was he was such an ass to Julian, from what I've read. I remember an interview with Julian where he said the tv was broadcasting this million dollar Christmas that John and Yoko gave to their son while he and his mom were living in poverty in England.
From what I heard and read his relationship with Julian (b. 1963) was rocky, because Julian was a toddler during the peak years of Beatlemania and John was out of the house a lot, and as soon as that ended, John divorced his mother and took up with Yoko, and after that their contact was not often. However it was not totally nonexistent, John did make some efforts to spend time with Julian and was by most reports showing more interest in him in later years

Obviously John's relationship with Sean (b. 1975) was very close, since he essentially quit working for about five years to stay with him.

From many different reports, Sean and Julian are actually pretty good friends.

Part of the issue, is Julian has no inherited right to "John Lennon" either artistically or financially. Yoko snatched everything for her son, dismissing Julian. She gave him a one time lump sum of money with it legally binding that he can never reveal the amount.

Dabs

Registered Member
Even tho I was 18 at the time Lennon was killed, I don't remember any of it.
I didn't listen to his music and I honestly can't recall hearing the news talk about his death.
I knew of the shooting afterwards..but that was pretty much it.
It's hard to believe that took place 30 years ago...wow!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Science & History 6
N Video Games 6
pro2A Music 9
Saffy General Discussion 2
Babe_Ruth Music 10