• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Remember when custom cursors, sounds, colors, etc were in?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was just thinking, I haven't had custom cursors or sounds or anything custom really that is built into Windows for years now. In fact I think I let all that go back in the 90's.

I used to download custom sound effects for all of the windows events. Right now I think I have most sounds turned off, even IM because I hate hearing sounds in the middle of listening to music. (I have music playing 90% of the time I am on the pc)

Does anybody here still do much to customize their Windows experience? XP is the worst for customization anyway. I simply select the "silver" theme and that's it. The olive green is ugly and the blue doesn't match any of my wallpapers.

I have more important (and even less important but more fun) things do be doing than worrying about what colors my title bar is.

dDave

V.I.P.
I remember back when windows 95 was still big, I think that I have a whole bunch of custom cursors and backgrounds saved somewhere on a floppy disk I remember some screen savers that I had, A 15" monitor that used a ton of power was also really popular, it was all back in the times before the USB port existed,

Right now I do nothing with customizing my computer, I guess taht all I do is change the menu bars to silver, move the start bar to the top of the screen, and then I change my background every once in a while. I'm really not a big download guy because there are too many viruses out there that I don't know if they are in the files or not, I had a mac style for a while but it made my computer run extra slow and my spyware program removed it from my computer.

There really isn't any reason to customize your PC it's a big waste of time.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
To be honest, I've always personally customized my Windows down to the text of the start button. I make everything that I can myself, and then I use the registry and editors to add the stuff I make into the Windows shell to make it exactly as I want it to be. I've had some pretty damn nice setups that have been ruined forever by formats and virii.

Psyco

Food Whore
I disagree with you dave, there are plenty of reasons to customize your pc. For the money i've put into this thing, i'd better be able to make it do whatever i want.

I went as far as manually hacking myself a new boot screen. I would have done my login by hand too, but thats freaking crazy. (boot screen = new bmp, screw around with backwards color pallet. login = 9 or so bmps, god only knows how many BACKWARDS pallets.)

The instant i got my new computer, i hacked uxtheme.dll and downloaded a ton of new themes. One of them came with a new set of cursors, which I'm using now. I do want to find other ones though.

Last edited:

MikeMakesCash

I just select the Windows Classic theme for my XP install! I don't like the "cartoonish" look of the XP themes.....

And with my iMac...........I just leave everything default....it's a beauty just the way it comes.

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
I do a fair bit of customization. Mainly wallpaper, cursors, and sounds. I don't have my speakers on all that much so that sounds are kind of lost, but I like the other stuff the way I have it.

I do wish that XP allowed more detailed changing outside of the Windows Classic theme. I'd like to change the task bar to something other than blue or silver for a while.

Psyco

Food Whore
I do a fair bit of customization. Mainly wallpaper, cursors, and sounds. I don't have my speakers on all that much so that sounds are kind of lost, but I like the other stuff the way I have it.

I do wish that XP allowed more detailed changing outside of the Windows Classic theme. I'd like to change the task bar to something other than blue or silver for a while.
Go to neowin.net and download the UXtheme.dll patcher. That will allow you to change the visual style/theme to anything you want. They also have a rather extensive skinning area, full of all sorts of themes and such.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I would, but there isn't one I like. I was looking around for a Batman Begins one, and they had it, but my computer doesn't seem to download it.

or I'm not familiar with the file type/lacking proper software.