• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

FunFact

A long time back you probably heard of the Anonymous group who said they were going to hack Facebook because of the privacy, what's your opinion on this are they going to succeed or fail.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

dDave

V.I.P.
Ah, for a second there I was thinking of V for Vendetta.

A link might do well here. Anonymous: Facebook's going down November 5 | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Honestly I'm not sure what to think, this group has hacked into some pretty secure systems.

Facebook going down wouldn't be the end of the world but at the same time I would never support anybody that is simply set to destroy businesses, there has to be a reason behind the madness (which the article does mention).

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Personally, I was thinking about Guy Fawkes Night. Only 3 days away.

I don't personally see it happening, but hey, stranger things have happened.

ScottOnly

Registered Member
It would be interesting to see if it does happen. It seems odd that they're actually announcing a date on this one. I'm sure facebook will try to be prepared for this one. I'm sure that if Anon banded together as a whole they could pull it off.

Dekzper

Registered Member
There's an update at the end of the article that claims only some of Anonymous wants to hack FB but hey, it would be more epic than having your wall spammed, lol! :nod: I'll be watching to see what happens.
I like my FB but I'd def be willing to sacrifice it for something this amazing! :D

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I'm sure that if Anon banded together as a whole they could pull it off.
Except they won't all band together. There's hundreds of thousands of Anons, heck, maybe even a million or more, but not all of them consider themselves part of the Anonymous activist group. Some will do it for some cause or another, some will do it for the lulz, and yet others (like myself) will facepalm and go back to talking about meaningless bollocks on the chans.

Plus there's also the fact that trying to get a whole load of anons to do something is like herding cats. Some'll go where you want them to go, while the rest will do something else entirely.

Ziggy

Sup?
They could never bring down Facebook.

Generally they have used DDoS attacks to bring down websites, but there are way too many servers handling the website for it to be brought down. It might dip for a bit but it wouldn't be brought down completely.

Maybe they have other plans, who knows really?

On another note I've always wanted to know why they put so much faith into Guy Fawkes? Didn't he want to bring down one monarch by putting another in it's place?

Last edited:

Ziggy

Sup?
I think they can due to high technology.It is possible.
Unless they have some kind of Military Grade software or hardware I highly doubt anyone working out of their own home could bring down something like Facebook.

Inside Facebook's Server Room - YouTube

It would take an incredible bot net as well as every single person who has ever been apart of an anon op to bring down Facebook.

They just don't have the resources.

I can understand why people would have a problem with Facebook giving away people's information, it's why I don't put anything sensitive on there (apart from people taking pictures of my drunk self), but bringing down the website would be really hard and basically impossible with the tools at their disposal.

This isn't the same as the Sony hack either. Facebook would have crazy good security considering the data that they have, but then again you never know what could happen.

We'll have to see on November 5th.

ScottOnly

Registered Member
Originally posted by Storm:
Except they won't all band together. There's hundreds of thousands of Anons, heck, maybe even a million or more, but not all of them consider themselves part of the Anonymous activist group. Some will do it for some cause or another, some will do it for the lulz, and yet others (like myself) will facepalm and go back to talking about meaningless bollocks on the chans.
Plus there's also the fact that trying to get a whole load of anons to do something is like herding cats. Some'll go where you want them to go, while the rest will do something else entirely.
I agree and had thought that myself. I guess I'm just hopeful to see facebook goes down. I don't know why, I don't even use facebook. I just don't like it, and I think it'd be funny if it did go down.

Last edited: