Relocation possible for Islanders?

Puckhead58

Registered Member
Well hopefully the Islanders won't have to relocate, but if they do, you can be sure that Bettman will try to move the team to yet another non-hockey market like Kansas City or Vegas instead of making the more logical move back to Winnipeg, Quebec City or the Hamilton area where fans are practically begging for a hockey team.

I will say this, Bettman might be good at paper work and financial things with the NHL, but he has no brains when it comes to expansion or relocation. He needs to stop trying to put teams in the USA, in cities that don't know a thing about hockey and start putting teams back in Canada where hockey rules!!!

With a good owner and a salary cap like there is now in the NHL, there is no reason why places like Winnipeg or Quebec can't have hockey teams back.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Vegas.......

I do agree, the Isles unfortunately need to be moved. What does New York have? Like 6 teams! I mean come on I realize its a very populated state but seriously why do they need that many teams? Bring some to the West Coast for craps sake. Seattle, Portland, *cough* Vegas....

Rags, Sabres, Devils, and Isles... ok so they only have 4 but still, three of those four are clumped together, probably within throwing distance of eachother. I'm all for a move if they have to, I can think of plenty of places that could definitely profit with an NHL team *cough* Vegas.....

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Having a team in Quebec City right now wouldn't be a smart move for the NHL, they need a new arena first, and I don't know if they could get the money to do so. But I agree with you, putting a team in Kansas City or even Las Vegas wouldn't be a good move. It might have a bit success at first but in two or five years they'll have problems selling tickets. The smart thing would definitely bring another team to Canada.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would love to see a team in Winnipeg, and so would many Canadian hockey fans, but I don't see it happening any time soon. The fan base would be there, but it's the partnership and ownership that would be hard to get in my opinion. Also the NHL and Bettman will say this to themselves, it failed once so why put another team in Winnipeg.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I can see where Kansas City wouldn't be a logical move in some ways, but as a Missouri guy I'd love to see it. I wouldn't mind having a second-fiddle team for the Blues :)

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
lmfao I love this "where should a team go" debate. :hah:

I want a team in Winnipeg. Canada without a doubt needs it and deserves it. But can they truly afford it?

The Jets were amazing, so were the Nordiques! Excellent Excellent venues from what I gather.... hell they probably could have had packed houses for uncountable seasons! But from what I gather it was the corporate backing that forced them out.

So whats worse? Putting a team back in Winnipeg only to have it ripped out because the Financial Backing isnt there......again? Or putting a team somewhere that has financial backing and will survive...but isnt a traditional hockey market *cough* vegas....

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hockey was huge in Winnipeg and Quebec...now that there's revenue sharing they can look to go back there. Or Hartford would be fine.

I think Vegas can support a pro franchise...just not hockey.

I think Hamilton makes the most sense.