• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religon is all a cult

canuck

I dunno bout many of you , but I myself was raised catholic growing up till I was about 14 then I started to do my own thing and didn't really believe in anything. Then just recently ppl keep trying to push religion on me again. Now at 30 i think all religions are a type of cult to brain wash you one way or another. It made a few ppl I know go crazy :rolleyes:
Its all the same one way or another. I choose to be spiritual.:)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I also personally believe that religions are mainly just cults to rack in money off people, but I hardly ever voice that opinion. It can get you in to a bit of trouble, even in todays modern world where so many people are still religious.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Some religions don't do a very good job of trying to get money from you. Like ones where the pastor has to work another job just to support his family. Or ones where everyone has to take a vow of poverty.

And really, with some religions - even if they are brainwashing people, it's to "do good things", which is basically what all of society tries to brainwash us into doing. ..

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Some religions don't do a very good job of trying to get money from you. Like ones where the pastor has to work another job just to support his family. Or ones where everyone has to take a vow of poverty.

And really, with some religions - even if they are brainwashing people, it's to "do good things", which is basically what all of society tries to brainwash us into doing. ..
The institution of religion is not about money. It is about power and control.

All religions have cultish tendencies. But accepted religions do not step outside the normative behavior of the society.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I also personally believe that religions are mainly just cults to rack in money off people, but I hardly ever voice that opinion. It can get you in to a bit of trouble, even in todays modern world where so many people are still religious.
Just cults? As in only? Really? Religions don't do anything by way of changing people's lives, performing charity, nothing at all of that nature? Are you sure about that?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think that the word "cult" is thrown around pretty casually these days by people who don't really understand what it means. To say that all religion is a cult implies a lack of understanding of the term cult, as the term was originally used by sociologists to classify types of religious behavior. Sociologists placed an emphasis on deviant behavior to distinguish cults from other religious sects.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The institution of religion is not about money. It is about power and control.
As far as I can tell, the level of power and control many religions exert is pretty minimal.

I mean, what about religions like Buddhism, where (IIRC) there is no clergy to gain power?

Last edited:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Wade8813 said:
I mean, what about religions like Buddhism, where (IIRC) there is no clergy to gain power?
Buddhist monks ruled Tibet until China took it over. I do think we have to grant, though, that personal spiritual practices and beliefs are not about exerting influence; which is why I think Swift referred specifically to "the institution of religion", though I suppose that could be interpreted more or less broadly depending on how you want to consider it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Just cults? As in only? Really? Religions don't do anything by way of changing people's lives, performing charity, nothing at all of that nature? Are you sure about that?
Yeah you are right, I don't dislike all religions. Some of them such as Buddhism I admire. It's just most of the other main ones, Islam, Christianity etc. I honestly don't see much of this "good" that apparently comes out of it. All I see is a bunch of people brainwashed to hate certain things because of an old fictional book written by people.
It's just a bunch of rules telling you what to do, what not to do and who to judge. Do you really think there would be so many homosexual teenagers around the world committing suicide every year if it wasn't for such strong and unnecessary hatred sprouted by religion? Religions such as Christianity in general don't seem to think much of gays... or women... or science. I'll never take it seriously, but I know many people do and I live with that.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Buddhist monks ruled Tibet until China took it over. I do think we have to grant, though, that personal spiritual practices and beliefs are not about exerting influence; which is why I think Swift referred specifically to "the institution of religion", though I suppose that could be interpreted more or less broadly depending on how you want to consider it.
I don't know enough about Tibet history to really comment, but I get the impression that those monks' power had (almost) nothing to do with Buddhism itself.

You're right, it does depend on what was meant by "the institution of religion".

Yeah you are right, I don't dislike all religions. Some of them such as Buddhism I admire. It's just most of the other main ones, Islam, Christianity etc. I honestly don't see much of this "good" that apparently comes out of it. All I see is a bunch of people brainwashed to hate certain things because of an old fictional book written by people.
It's just a bunch of rules telling you what to do, what not to do and who to judge. Do you really think there would be so many homosexual teenagers around the world committing suicide every year if it wasn't for such strong and unnecessary hatred sprouted by religion? Religions such as Christianity in general don't seem to think much of gays... or women... or science. I'll never take it seriously, but I know many people do and I live with that.
We could make an entire thread to the good that has come out of various religions.

Speaking just about Christianity (since that's what I know), I can't think of any verses that tell anyone to hate anyone. But there's this recurring theme of "Love your enemies", "Do good to those who mistreat you", "Love your neighbor", etc.

To be honest, if you look at the Bible, I think a strong case can be made that lying is a worse sin than homosexuality. And everybody's lied. For that matter, there are scholars who argue that homosexuality isn't even a sin - the issue arose because of translation (etc)