• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Religious painting hung in school

dDave

V.I.P.
And there are people out there that have a problem with it.

Here

Seriously? Again, seriously?

If you're going to pick something to make a big deal about then at the very least you should pick something good. This does not fall under that category.

This is America (shockingly). Amazingly (and I know this is a stretch for some people), belief in God and Christianity are significant pieces of our culture and history.

Thoughts?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
The thing that always gets me about things like this is how these groups found out about it in the first place because unless it was placed outside on a massive board I am unsure of how it would be seen.

I do not like religion being forced on anyone and I support freedom of speech but I do not honestly see why this is so offensive to these people, this image is not forcing religion on anyone, it is not like the children are pointing at people with a message that reads: get preying or though shall be punished.

I have had look on the groups website and whilst it is not as offensive or as bad as someone like The Westboro Baptist Church I do wonder if they may eventually go that way.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see what the big deal is, its been there for 18 years and people in the area don't have a problem with it. It is a representation of Christianity but its not demanding you get religion, its just a picture.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
See I would only connect this to Christianity because I happen to have been brought up as a Christian but to my knowledge Christianity is not the only religion that uses prey and putting ones hands together when that is being done.

As Hi says, this is not demanding anything, it is not stating a one true religion and it is not (in my humble opinion) offensive.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster

It really doesn't matter who or what the children in the picture are praying to. Prayer is an act of faith and this poster does depict it. As such, it is potentially offensive to the faithless. I do not agree with political correctness in general and now that the Atheists are picking up the ball and running with it, I agree with it even less, but never the less, this particular group has a valid point. The poster is not neutral in it's message or imagery. We should also however get rid of images like this...

Fair is fair. Blank walls in offices and schools. Sterile environments for all.

- Chameleon

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've never understood how it's offensive. It's two kids praying in front of an American flag, what's so offensive about it? If you're offended by it, you have a whole set of problems that taking a picture down isn't going to fix.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've never understood how it's offensive. It's two kids praying in front of an American flag, what's so offensive about it? If you're offended by it, you have a whole set of problems that taking a picture down isn't going to fix.
You know, that's a really good thought. What makes a religious painting so offensive?

I know that we don't find atheism or other religions to be inherently offensive, so why are atheists so up in arms about a freaking religious painting?

I honestly think that they need to get over it, it's a ridiculous argument. If you don't want to be exposed to religion then you're going to miss a lot in life and you're going to miss a lot of history.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I also agree with CO, unless there is something I am missing there is nothing on it that says "BOW DOWN TO RELIGION!" on it.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Well would it be appropriate if there was a religious symbol added to it, like a cross or Quran? The thing to understand here is that, to an atheist, faith (the very idea of faith) is against their "religion". The idea of a god or idle (perhaps apart from Darwin :p) is anti-atheistic, and therefore so is prayer or messages associating patriotic symbols with religious acts (especially ones depicting children). They see it as promoting faith (albeit not a specific faith) and technically, they are not wrong. If it is inappropriate to depict in a public school imagery promoting a specific faith because it is offensive to those of other faiths, then how is it any more appropriate to use imagery that promotes faith at all when there are those whose beliefs exclude it? To say that people who don't believe in religious concepts (like faith) have a problem is a condemnation of the Atheistic belief system.

I am not defending anything here, only stating my rational perspective. As much as I detest these PC rules, when it comes to public spaces, they are a necessary evil. Without them we would soon see schools (and other public spaces) decorated with posters of boys kissing in front of a rainbow flag and/or posters saying gays are destined for hell, etc. etnausium. So mutual respect and empathy for those with different beliefs and lifestyles must be regulated and enforced. It's stupid because society is stupid (present company excluded of course).

- Chameleon

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If people want to be offended they will find something to be offended about. Some are offended by religion, others gay symbols or politics that don't jive with their own beliefs. Religious politicians/leaders often work hard to keep an atheist from doing something like getting an abortion or taking a certain birth control pill because its against their beliefs. Then atheists work hard to keep religious symbols out of schools or being subjected to others religious beliefs.

Think they both need to back off on pushing their beliefs off on others.