Religious End Times Prophecies

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright this thread was getting a little off topic so I'm starting this new thread to discuss end times and prophecies relating to end times. Feel free to discuss this in regards to any religion, but quote your sources if you reference religions literature.

So, what are your thoughts on end times prophecies? Do you think they represent people trying to move the target in front of the arrow per say, or do you feel there is truth behind them?

Last edited:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The problem is when it does come true, as it will, you will explain it off as chance. This is your faith in chance. I could give you 100 specific prophecies that cannot be explained any other way. The prophecy of Israel being scattered for centuries and then suddenly brought back together comes to mind as a recent example. You don't want to believe, so you don't read the prophecies and make assumptions that the prophecies are vague and silly. This is your ignorance.
(Taken from the Conversion thread.)

I'm afraid it's your ignorance showing here; the handy thing about a prophecy is that you can make one and not have to worry about being wrong. After all, it either happens, or "it hasn't happened yet". :rolleyes: There aren't time limits; given a long enough time frame there's a much higher statistical chance of the claim coming true. I could say China will devolve back into seperate warring provinces - wait a few thousand years, if it happens, hey! I'm a prophet! If it doesn't, I can afford to wait. :dunno:

Wade8813

Registered Member

I'm afraid it's your ignorance showing here; the handy thing about a prophecy is that you can make one and not have to worry about being wrong. After all, it either happens, or "it hasn't happened yet". :rolleyes: There aren't time limits; given a long enough time frame there's a much higher statistical chance of the claim coming true. I could say China will devolve back into seperate warring provinces - wait a few thousand years, if it happens, hey! I'm a prophet! If it doesn't, I can afford to wait. :dunno:
That depends on the prophecy. Obviously some, you can do that with. But some prophecies are more specific than that.

Sim

Registered Member
There is also such a thing as self-fulfilling prophecies:

When a certain prophecy is sufficiently popular, and even comes with religious convictions, it's possible that some believers will, deliberately or unconsciously, contribute to making it becoming reality, especially when other good events are supposed to come with it. That's because they see current events and decisions through the lense of these prophecies.

For example, the idea of founding an Israeli state and the Jews returning to the Holy Land could be an example. Most Jews knew these prophecies, and maybe that's what inspired zionism in the first place.

Bananas

Endangered Species
So, what are your thoughts on end times prophecies? Do you think they represent people trying to move the target in front of the arrow per say, or do you feel there is truth behind them?
It is nothing more than a case of the great illusionists convincing the great delusionists.

One of the funniest events in history has to be the Great Disappointment
even the name makes me chuckle.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag

You're just wrong. There has never been a nation scattered for any length of time and brought back together like the Jewish nation. Sure your example can come true. Nation devolve all the time. I am talking about a race of people scattered throughout the world for a couple thousand years and then suddenly brought back together to their original land just as was predicted. What you said is nothing compared to that.

"And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them....And they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God." Amos 9:14-15

..And over a dozen more passages that specifically call for the nation to be scattered and reborn. Every serious theologian understands the re-birth of Israel is a major fulfillment of prophecy and has never been remotely duplicated.

------
It is nothing more than a case of the great illusionists convincing the great delusionists.

One of the funniest events in history has to be the Great Disappointment
even the name makes me chuckle.
It is funny, except for the fact he was a false prophet who lead people astray. If people would have read the words of Jesus, they never would have followed this guy.
36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,a]" class="footnote">[a] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. 42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I could give you 100 specific prophecies that cannot be explained any other way.
Right then; these exact words, more or less, have been spoken almost innumerable times in defense of religious end times prohecies, on all fronts. I think it's about time to call shenanigans --> The quote above is your exact wording, and you make it sound as though it would be easy for you to do so, so let's have it. Let's have you list 100 specific prophecies that have been fullfilled, and would be able to avoid all scrutiny on my part.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Right then; these exact words, more or less, have been spoken almost innumerable times in defense of religious end times prohecies, on all fronts. I think it's about time to call shenanigans --> The quote above is your exact wording, and you make it sound as though it would be easy for you to do so, so let's have it. Let's have you list 100 specific prophecies that have been fullfilled, and would be able to avoid all scrutiny on my part.
cool - give me time and I will. I've got 3 jobs-It takes a little more time than it used to, but you can start with my last post.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Prophecies regarding the founding of the state of Israel were already adressed in Sim's post --> "Self-fullfilling prophecy" is far more common than people think, or even want to think. It occurs when a person tells another person that some event is going to happen, and that person believes it to a point of influencing following events to that end.

For example, if a so-called fortuneteller were to say to someone "I predict you will meet the love of your life today," and that person believed it, he would leave excited, and actively looking for this person he's supposed to meet. He might happen to bump into a woman on the street, and all of the sudden the gears will start turning; "Oh my goodness, this must be the love of my life!!" He'll pursue her with vigour, as he believes he is "meant" to, and he'll be amazed when his relentless pursuit eventually ends up exactly as predicted --> He is successful because he is confident in himself, however; not because it was meant to be.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Prophecies regarding the founding of the state of Israel were already adressed in Sim's post --> "Self-fullfilling prophecy" is far more common than people think, or even want to think. It occurs when a person tells another person that some event is going to happen, and that person believes it to a point of influencing following events to that end.

For example, if a so-called fortuneteller were to say to someone "I predict you will meet the love of your life today," and that person believed it, he would leave excited, and actively looking for this person he's supposed to meet. He might happen to bump into a woman on the street, and all of the sudden the gears will start turning; "Oh my goodness, this must be the love of my life!!" He'll pursue her with vigour, as he believes he is "meant" to, and he'll be amazed when his relentless pursuit eventually ends up exactly as predicted --> He is successful because he is confident in himself, however; not because it was meant to be.
you're over-simplifying it. The Jews were scattered from Jerusalem around 70AD. From that point until 1943, they lived in various parts of the world as a single race with a single connection of religion and history. Africans that were taken during slavery no longer maintain their African religion and heritage and that's only been 200 years. African-Americans have married at a high rate with other races in America, and there is now a clear difference in appearance between Africans and African-Americans. Likewise, I cannot walk down an American street and say with any certainty: he is from Irish decent, she is from Spanish decent, he is from American Indian. Things have become incredible homogenized in the last 200 years of America. Its unreasonable that the Jewish people would not 'blend in' in the course of 1900 years.