Religion vs Politics

I was discussing this with my fiance last night as we were watching some footage of Hilary Clinton.
We started a discussion on how presidents have to be sworn in on the bible. But what if you aren't religious? Or Christian? Then my fiance stated that most of if not all united state presidents are Christian, so that got me thinking: why is it that all presidents are Christian? Does it matter to you? (those of you from america) if your president is Christian or not?
Please don't get mad at me for asking this question.. It's not meant as a insult or anything, I was just curious.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
The candidates morals matter to me, not necessarily their religion, although their morals do depend greatly on their religion most of the time. I would have voted for Mitt Romney though. He was Mormon. But he didn't make it.

Last edited:

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Yep, it's all about their morals and beliefs and feelings on gun rights. Unfortunately all the major candidates suck in all areas. Religion doesn't matter.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
About 80% of the US population is Christian, so it makes sense that most Presidents would also be Christian. Factor in that there are far too many people who refuse to vote for a non-Christian, and it's not surprising that all US Presidents have, at least publicly, been Christian.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
About 80% of the US population is Christian, so it makes sense that most Presidents would also be Christian.
Wait... I would argue against this being true. Sure a lot of people call themselves christians but I guess that it depends how you look at it, sure they might have the same moral values a lot of people but that is much different than being a Christian.

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts now, the presidents religion doesn't really matter to me all that much it's all about their leadership skills and their moral values.

Hmm. Thanks for your answers.
As to the post about 80% of the people in the united states are Christian tthere are obviously some that are not. So if a non christian were to become president would they still have to be sworn in on the bible?

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
Wait... I would argue against this being true. Sure a lot of people call themselves christians but I guess that it depends how you look at it, sure they might have the same moral values a lot of people but that is much different than being a Christian.
According to the most recent Pew survey, 78.4% of Americans identify themselves as "Christian", and if a person claims to be a Christian, why should I disagree? It's hardly relevant how many self-described Christians actually follow what they claim to believe in.

Individuals are more likely to vote for a President they can identify with. Therefore, those who believe themselves to be Christian will, on average, identify more strongly with a President who also claims to be Christian. If nearly 80% of the population will identify more strongly with a Christian President, Christians will have a statistically higher chance of being elected.

So if a non christian were to become president would they still have to be sworn in on the bible?
Of course not. Nor do Christian Presidents, though nearly all choose to. However, John Quincy Adams and Franklin Pierce took their oaths on law books, and Teddy Roosevelt took the oath on nothing.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, democracy is popular vote and the majority religion in the US is Christianity, so it only makes sense that presidents will tend to be Christian.

As per my opinion, religion should be abolished from any political area period. Keep your beliefs, but they do not belong in policy making and law regulation over a country that is not entirely of your faith.

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
A person's morals are many times defined by their religion, thus someones religion is very important because it shows the voters their morals. I would vote for someone who isn't in my religion if they shared the same morals, but if they were like a Satanist then I would definitely not vote for them.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I find religion meaningless in politics.. Just because their christian doesn't mean they have any more morals than anyone else. I see how Americans like to use this as a judging tool, but in reality religion is no safe bet that they will be a good person.