• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Can Help You Overcome Mental Illness And/Or Substance Addiction. However...

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
When I attended community college back in the day, I took a course in substance abuse/addiction.

The instructor of the class said that many alcoholics and drug addicts find religion as something that's helpful to them in overcoming substance addiction.

However, he said that if they are religious, their religion must be combined with professional psychiatric treatment in order for them to overcome it.

But can those who don't have substance addiction issues but do have mental illness, such as depression, bipolar disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc, overcome mental illness with religion alone?

Maybe some can (although those who are out of touch with reality can't). But I think it's better if it's combined with psychiatric treatment.

Not all who have mental illness are religious, of course. However, if you are a religious person and if you have mental illness, religion can help you overcome it. It really can.

But I think you're more likely to overcome mental illness if you combine it with psychiatric treatment.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Anyone who suffers from any of those should get professional help. Can they overcome those things with religion alone? That’s way too broad. I have found my faith to be an incredibly positive thing in my life. It’s gotten me through some bad times. But I would never tell anyone “just pray about it” as the solution for any of those conditions, and I don’t believe it’s something that is necessary. I would argue it helps, but not necessary.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think a healthy mix of both psychiatric and religious help is best. Preferably from the same party if possible. One of the biggest issues I have with most psychologists/psychiatrists is that they are either discouraged from talking about religion or they simply aren't allowed to (government employees are a primary example here.)

I know several people that have overcome some very serious addictions (such as heroin and sex addictions) by encountering God. No psychiatric help at all for them, just religious help/revelation.

That being said, I still personally believe the best is a mixture of spiritual help/guidance, and psychiatric care. The reality is that everyone is different and no issue is as simple as it appears on the surface. I literally don't know anyone that's truly gotten over anything big without at least some spiritual guidance though.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I believe only Christianity can answer life's toughest questions. Where did I come from? What happens after I die? What is my purpose? How do I absolve my guilt and shame? Does anyone truly love me and can I truly love?
Psychiatric is helpful but it can't answer those questions in a way that makes sense and has meaning. imo.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a mix of both would be most helpful. Like myself I have cancer and although I like being prayed for, it makes me feel good when I know people are, but I know I still need medical attention.