• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Brainwashing Camp

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I haven't fully watched the ones you put but I have seen vids of Jesus Camp before and I was shocked. I do wonder if the shock value is more because their beliefs don't fit mine or that they're kids. Because really, I can imagine how someone who doesn't believe in any diety could think that everyone who follows a religion (extreme or not) has been brainwashed at some point especially when you know that we are taught to believe from a very young age and to accept information based on faith or trust on our authority figures (family elders, school, ministers) and not some empirical evidence.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Actually the first video is understandable. Those Christians want to make children Christians. The second video is horrific, the way a three year old girl is taught that Jews are pigs. Being taught racism at such a tender age!

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I watched that documentary when it was on. I think both videos are pretty shocking, notice the rhetoric of violence: 'Harry Potter would be put to death...'; 'Army of God...'. The particulary shocking thing about the other video is the tender age of that child.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Some Christians are also taught that non Christians will go to hell. I don't find it that different from other teachings that make you look down on people who don't believe in the same things you do.

fractal

Some Christians are also taught that non Christians will go to hell. I don't find it that different from other teachings that make you look down on people who don't believe in the same things you do.
What they probably mean to say is that atheists will go to hell. But that isn't racism. It just scares them into thinking that God exists. In the second video, we see that the kid was taught that Jews are pigs!

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
What they probably mean to say is that atheists will go to hell. But that isn't racism. It just scares them into thinking that God exists. In the second video, we see that the kid was taught that Jews are pigs!
I am not sure I understand your meaning? To say Atheists will go to Hell to me is not so different than to say all Jews are pigs, this is different to you? Maybe not racism, but is defiantly teaching discrimination according to religion on both counts, so how is one better than the other?

fractal

I am not sure I understand your meaning? To say Atheists will go to Hell to me is not so different than to say all Jews are pigs, this is different to you? Maybe not racism, but is defiantly teaching discrimination according to religion on both counts, so how is one better than the other?
Thinking of another person as a pig and mentally dealing with him the way you'd deal with a pig is quite different having the belief that someone else will go to hell because he's an infidel. The first is racism, and the second is not because you can treat an atheist like a normal person even if you believe he will go to hell.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Out of curiosity, if it is the parents obligation to instill in their children what they think is right and wrong, and if they do that because they are trying to do what is best for their child, why is it when someone does this it is labeled brain washing but all other raising of children is not?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I shouldn't but I always lol when I see the Jesus camp video with the cardboard George Bush and the kids all start talking to it. I agree with fractal that the Muslim brainwashing is nothing more than racism. The Jesus camp is extreme and much of it I think is dangerous. However, it is sensationalized, so not sure how extreme it is.