• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Religion and Horror Movies

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am going to see a film tonight called "Devils Due", it is about a woman who is somehow impregnated with the spawn of Satan and she goes shall we say, slightly loopy.

This is not the first and it will not be the last film that uses Satan and indeed religion in a film to make it more scary and to make more of an impact.

Two of the biggest horror movies use this in The Wicker Man (the original version) & The Exorcist, both films play or the basic premise of being afraid of the wrath of God and the idea that they may be slain by a dark force. I understand why people are scared of these films because to be fair they are scary, but does it go deeper than that?

So I have a question about religion and films, are these films scary because of the possibility that evil spirits do exist in a physical world that we cannot control and cannot understand why they are there to begin with? Does the religious upbringing fly in the face of what these films are doing and is it almost offensive?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
To me it's not offensive at all. As Christians we believe Satan and demons exist and are capable of possessing humans, there are several incidents in the New Testament of Jesus exercising demons and was tempted by Satan. So to me, that is what is scary, of the possibility of that occurring.

Take The Conjuring for example. The Warrens insisted that happened and the movie allegedly portrayed what happened close to their account and the famy substantiates it. To me is it possible? Yes, because if I discount it as possible aren't I discounting some events in Jesus' life?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Does the idea of this happening scare you at all? I have seen "exorcism" (all be in not in real life but on film) and apparently the devil has been drawn out of people but we will never really know the reality, but do you believe in the idea of the devil coming to earth and possessing people? I have not read the bible but is there anything in the bible that may bring this into reality on the basis it must have come from somewhere?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes it does because I do believe Satan can and does posess. I just saw an interview with a Catholic priest who was discussing exorcisms and he said the first thing he does is speak to the person in Latin and if this person responds in Latin, a language they wouldn't otherwise know, he knows it's a real possession versus someone with mental issues.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
A Christian does not need to/should not be afraid of things like this. God wins in the end.

That said the natural human tendency is to be afraid. Just because we shouldn't do something does not mean a Christian will live up to that all the time. We are not perfect by any means, that is in fact why we are Christians in the first place.

Possession can be very real. Jesus and the apostles were not afraid of this, in fact; most of the time they just seemed annoyed before casting them out.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
On a different tangent how do you feel about the way religion is represented in such films? Is it fairly treated or do you think there is a certain amount of disrespect. When The Wicker Man came out it was met with a lot of criticism due to it going against Christianity when it was not, all it was saying was that they did not believe that it was the one and only faith. Another example is "The Life of Brian", it has very little to do with Jesus but it was seen as very blasphemous.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I don't watch many horror films. From what I have seen it generally does not portray Christianity well. Inaccuracies are abundant. These movies would generally spread fear if one did not believe god was ultimately in charge, because these movies tend to focus more on the power of satan than on the power of god. A lot of times Satan is portrayed as just as powerful as god...

In General Hollywood likes to portray Christians as closed minded bigoted individuals, which could not be further from the truth. I would also argue they do not do this nearly as much to other religions. As for why that is, what do you think? Assuming you agree with that statement, if you don't why not?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A Christian does not need to/should not be afraid of things like this. God wins in the end.

That said the natural human tendency is to be afraid. Just because we shouldn't do something does not mean a Christian will live up to that all the time. We are not perfect by any means, that is in fact why we are Christians in the first place.

Possession can be very real. Jesus and the apostles were not afraid of this, in fact; most of the time they just seemed annoyed before casting them out.
I have to disagree only because Satan is real and Satan is evil, and people have been killed by people who were allegedly possessed. I understand your point about God winning in the end, but in the short term I can understand people being afraid. Even Mary was initially afraid was Gabriel came to announce that she was to deliver the Son of God and he was an angel, as humans can't help but be somewhat afraid of the unknown and the supernatural.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I have to disagree only because Satan is real and Satan is evil, and people have been killed by people who were allegedly possessed. I understand your point about God winning in the end, but in the short term I can understand people being afraid. Even Mary was initially afraid was Gabriel came to announce that she was to deliver the Son of God and he was an angel, as humans can't help but be somewhat afraid of the unknown and the supernatural.
True it is human nature to be afraid. Perhaps sometimes healthy to a small extent but only to the point of knowledge or acknowledgement of the unknown. It is when you let fear control you and all of your emotions that is the problem. We have to stay rooted in what we know for certain.

I am certain not saying that nothing scares me ever. There are plenty of situations that would probably cause me to be afraid. War, death, killing all subjects I am uncertain of how I would react at all times.

If I suddenly had an experience like Mary with an angel appearing before me I can under no certain terms say how I would react.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Religion is used in movies to mystify the non-religious and terrifying the faithful, plain and simple (in my mind, of course). I have no problem with it being there and I think it can add an extra layer of creepy since paranormal horror tends to be my favorite.