TV Regular TV Show gone Musical!

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by AnitaKnapp, Jul 28, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

What I am referring to here, is when a TV show will do an episode in song and dance.

Do you like this? Does it entertain you?

To be frank, it absolutely pisses me off. I dislike musicals for the most part (some are ok), I don't want one of my favorite shows to go on and on in song.

Some comedy shows...it doesn't bother me so much. However, I was just catching up on Rescue Me, and they had an episode where this happened. Actually, it was 2 episodes, because it happened at the end of one, and carried on to another. Hopefully it doesn't carry over into a third episode. I absolutely hated it, and I think the guy who thought that up for a drama such as Rescue Me should be taken out and beaten.

Xeilo likes this.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

My least favorite Simpsons episode was always the one that's all singing. Even when it's just one song and not a whole episode it pisses me the hell off. If I wanted to watch a musical I would watch a musical.

Bliss likes this.
  3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

It bothers me. Instead of getting a climax from the show, you get a sharp stab in the gut.

Shows like That 70's Show and The Drew Carey Show did it a couple of times, and while The Drew Carey Show did it better it still wasn't pleasing to the soul. Felt too force and like they were trying too hard to get a laugh. Not my cup of tea.

Bliss and Xeilo like this.
  4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't enjoy it, I hate musicals as well and I cringe when I have to sit there and watch a show that I enjoy watching turn into a musical episode.

Bliss likes this.
  5. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I generally have no problem with them, with music quality itself being the main decider.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    Bliss likes this.
  6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

It depends on what it is. I enjoy it when Family Guy break out in to song and dance but that's because the words are really funny.

7. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

See, I even hate it when it's funny. I just hate it in general. I can tolerate it more if it's funny...but most of the time, it just annoys me.

Bliss likes this.
  8. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I kind of think those kinds of episodes are dumb. I really didn't like the Buffy musical episode.

Bliss likes this.
  9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm gonna be a sheep and say it annoys me, too. It generally feels forced and like they ran out of all other ideas. I can't remember ever watching it being pulled off well, especially where it runs over the course of the entire episode, as opposed to just one song.

10. TVAdam

TVAdam Registered Member

In general, if I'm in the mood to watch the show, I want to watch a "regular" episode. Not a musical episode, or a clip show, or some out there episode (like NewsRadio's Titanic Parody episode).

However, two shows that got it right were: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Scrubs. I enjoy watching those episodes over and over. I even own the Buffy musical episode soundtrack.

I used to like the musical episode of That '70s Show but after seeing Buffy and Scrubs, it just seems lame in comparison. And the actors aren't as talented singing wise on That '70s Show as compare to the actors on Buffy and Scrubs.