Regular Season: Too long?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Major, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

This is mainly about the NBA, NHL, and MLB. Do you think the regular seasons are too long?

The NBA and NHL both have 82-game regular seasons.
    MLB has a 162-game regular season.

Obviously the more games there are, the more revenue there is, and because of that it's unlikely that the seasons will ever be shortened. But money aside, is it necessary to play so many games? Is that how many games it takes to determine which teams are worthy of the playoffs?

I'd like to see the NBA and NHL seasons shortened to around 50 games, and MLB shortened to about 100 games. When there's so many games the importance of each one is diminished. There's not much intensity. And it seems like the players are just going through the motions.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

To me, a lot of it comes down to the math - about how many games are needed to establish the proper sample size.

That's one of my problems with the NFL. In baseball, you might have someone go on a "hot streak" for 10-15 games, but over the course of the season, they revert back to the norm. In the NFL, 10-15 games is almost the entire season.

Also, having seasons be the same length helps when comparing players throughout the years, which I've always enjoyed doing. If a baseball player plays 1/3 less games each year, it's hard to compare his numbers to someone who plays 162 games, since even if you adjust the numbers proportionately, fatigue levels are still influenced.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. Major

I understand that it would throw off the consistency with stats, but ultimately stats are meaningless and shouldn't really be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to change the length of the season. Making the sport as exciting as possible is what matters, and if shortening the regular season makes for a better product, shouldn't stat consistency be ignored? There are always tons of variables that go into stats. New stats would just be "most home runs in a season since the regular season was shortened to 100 games" type of stuff.

4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Statistics in baseball are sacred though...you'll never ever ever ever see the season shortened in MLB. Hell, when Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 1961 they put an ** by his name because Babe Ruth hit 60 in 152 games or whatever the season length's were. I think the long season in baseball is just another thing that separates it from the other sports...its an actual job in which you have to get up to work every day. It's grueling and the BEST teams are there at the end. I wouldnt touch it.

5. Major

You think the players in other sports are just sitting around on the days they don't have games? And yes, you can tell baseball players treat it like a job and not a game. That's what I was saying when they just go through the motions. I think that takes away from the intensity. "Just another day at the office."

Would the best teams not be there if the season were shorter? Who's to say there wouldn't be different teams in the playoffs if the season was 300 games? What makes 162 the best number to determine the best teams?

6. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont think they are but playing in a game and practicing before a game are two completely different things. The Cardinals have 18 open dates in 6 months. That's roughly 180 days, 18 days off. They should treat it like a job and not a game...at least I would. I dont believe baseball, at any point, is lacking any intensity. At least not from what I've seen.

I definitely think the larger sample size goes a long way. Unlike the NHL and the NBA only FOUR teams per conference/league make the playoffs. In those other sports half the teams in the league make the playoffs. I think that if MLB had 82 games instead of 162 that it would allow teams who aren't as good to squeek into the playoffs.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

As everyone knows by now I am a huge fan of sports. I believe that the seasons aren't to long in any major four sports. A lot of people say why the heck is Baseball 162 games a year, I personally love it, I don't its to long at all. Same thing with the rest of them.

You only have four teams that make the playoffs in the American League and National League, so it's competetive all year long in my opinion, because if your down five games, it's sometimes really hard to catch up.

I wouldnt shortned at all.

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Honestly Echoes, baseball is a game of endurance. It's a game of dedication. It's not the most "physical" game in the world, but it's one of the most grueling. Thats part of the magic of baseball. People like Cal Ripken Jr. inspire people. Yeah 100 games is still a lot, but you're essentially cutting the games by a third.