Registry cleaner?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeanie, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I can't run any .exe files on my computer, including the one that makes sure my computer is safe and cleans shit up for me. Also I'm unable to open any GF threads; when I click on the thread title I get a blank screen (I'm using another computer right now).

I know there are tons of downloads out there but I don't know how to tell which ones are legitimate. Can someone please recommend something for me? If possible, get in touch with me on yahoo or facebook because obviously once I'm on my computer I won't be able to read any replies on this thread.

thanks.

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Try CCleaner. Not only does that sort out your registry, it also removes unused and temporary files.

3. Jeanie

ok here's the other thing - if I download something, I can't run the installation of it because it's usually an .exe file to do that, right?

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Have you attempted to run anything in safe mode? If that works, run the file in safe mode, but if it doesn't, then I don't actually know of any cleaners that don't use a .exe file.

5. Jeanie

OK I'll try that. Thanks, Storm.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Tune Up Utilities is a good program for registry cleaning. I like it. But I had to use only the trial versions.
    I'm not really into CCleaner.

7. Jeanie

The computer would not boot up in Safe Mode. It scrolled this weird text then went back to the F8 screen, and no matter what I did it wouldn't start in Safe Mode.

fark

8. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Your PC sounds like my PC almost a year ago....I couldn't run it or boot it, or do anything with it, everything just seemed to stop working, it started with the EXE thing, and slowly started to ruin my PC bit by bit, best guess is a virus.

The only thing I strongly recommend, is back up everything, and format your PC....

Consider yourself lucky, my PC was so damaged, that I wasn't able to recover anything from my hard-drive :(

9. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

I agree with this completely

10. Jeanie

I think I'm just going to take it to a computer repair place. I don't know what I'm doing and I'd spend more time trying in vain to fix it than it's worth.

after I back my shit up, of course.