Regional Latin Competition

Discussion in 'The Bathroom Wall' started by Iris, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Oh yes. It's here again.

Tomorrow, actually. I'm so freaking nervous. I've been studying so much, that's why my activity has been low.

Wish me luck.

Pray, worship, hold good luck rituals, do whatever. I really hope I place!

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

What exactly do you do at a Latin competition?

I competed in the regional architecture/engineering/drafting competition my junior and senior years of high school. Took second place both times and qualified for the state competition, but didn't go to state either time. The state competition was on a weekend and I would have had to go there on my own. The regional one was more like a field trip. A few people from my drafting class and I went together and we got to miss school, so it was pretty fun.

3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Well, here you have to take one test and either do an athletic event, enter a piece of art, or take two tests. I'm taking three.

PMAQ: Phrases, mottoes, abbreviations and quotations in Latin. Classical Art, and customs.

4. Corona

Corona Registered Member

At least you don't have to parse. That shit sucks.

5. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Parse? Wtf?

6. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Dative, genative, accusative, ablative, nominative. Probably sounds familiar.

7. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

Good luck! My school competes in the Junior Classical League, is this anything like that?

8. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Case usage... Nominative: Subjects, predicate nouns, predicate adjectives
    Genative: Shows possession ('s, s', of)
    Dative: Indirect object (to, for)
    ablative: direct object, objects of certain preposition
    accusative: various constructions, objects of certain preposition (with, by)

Yeah, I know what that stuff is.
    ------
    Same thing. We call it the Regional Latin Competition. Then there is State and Nationals.

I didn't place. :[

And I'm so pissed at my teacher.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008