• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Reggae, Dub and its Variations

Impact

V.I.P.
Another genre I really love is Reggae, especially the NZ take on it and when bands mix it up with some Dub. It's one of the leading genres of music back home so i've had my fair share of exposure to it. So good to just relax to. I'm not really a Bob Marley fan, but I do love a couple of his tunes. Some of my favourite bands are Katchafire, Kora, Salmonella Dub and The Black Seeds. And it wouldn't be a music thread without some YouTube.

YouTube - Katchafire - Get Away
YouTube - Katchafire - Bounce
YouTube - The Black Seeds 'Cool Me Down'
YouTube - Fat Freddy's Drop - Wandering Eye
YouTube - Salmonella Dub - Love Your Ways
YouTube - Faded by Tiki Taane
I could go on forever.

Anyone else a Reggae or Dub fan or am I the sole listener on the forum?

Edit to add this beauty, which is more on the Dub side than anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ4v1dRboMk

Last edited:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Another one is trip hop!

I listen to some trip hop, which is more related to dub and hip-hop, electronic stuff. I can't think of any bands at the moment that really fall under trip hop, but I can check back another time.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't really care for any of the songs in your first post. The beats are good, but the vocals just don't sound "reggae" to me.

I forgot to post this song...

YouTube - Peter Tosh - Legalize It

Awesome!
Yeah, its NZ style reggae that I like which is definitely different from Jamaican style. Its more RnB vocals.

Hammonday

Registered Member
How about Massive Attack, they are trip-hop right?
Especially the song "Angel".

I am a massive reggae and dub fan. Some of the best best best music in the world.
If you are a fan of any of the gorillaz music, listen to the dub remixes by spacemonkeyz, they are BUFFFFFFFFFFF.

OH! and if you like a bit o' pink floyd, the "Dub side of the moon" album by Easy Star All Stars is a must.

and thanks for the Black Seeds recommendation, they are great!

Last edited: