• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Refuses to lower flag for Mandela

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Sheriff In SC Won’t Honor Mandela CBS Charlotte

This is what I was taught growing up. That according to the flag code, the flag could only be lowered for American servicemen(including politicians). I haven't checked and don't know if that's true or not. I'm conflicted on this issue. Mandela was one of the greatest men of our generation and there is a Presidential order to lower, but the sheriff has a point also: he was not an American.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I'm not all up on American laws but isn't a Presidential order pretty much a 'you have to do it' kind of thing?

Even if Mandela wasn't American, there's nothing wrong with lowering a flag out of respect; I wouldn't mind if we did it over here.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I always thought it was for Americans only too but I think its turned into a way for countries to show support for each other. Didn't some countries lower their flags after 9/11 and the Boston City bombing. Really don't see where it matters if this sheriff lowers his flag or not.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm not all up on American laws but isn't a Presidential order pretty much a 'you have to do it' kind of thing?

Even if Mandela wasn't American, there's nothing wrong with lowering a flag out of respect; I wouldn't mind if we did it over here.
No. The president's powers are limited by Article II of the Constitution. He can order the lowering of flags all he wants, the only ones compelled to comply are federal buildings. I see the sheriffs point, Mandela wasn't a US citizen, but it should be done out of respect. But if he refuses he refuses, nothing illegal being done here, and he is in compliance with the flag code.