• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Redwall Series

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Is anyone else here fans of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques?

When I was younger in Primary School I read basically all of these books. I could hardly put them down. I would borrow one from the school library, read it then return it to borrow the next. I did this for a whole year (there are a lot of them) and eventually read them all.

I'm now 20 and just picked them up again for the first time since I was young, this is because I saw a second-hand copy of the first one on sale at school for only $2. Even after all this time I am still enjoying them heaps! They are probably one of my favourite fantasy series of all time.

With 21 books in the series it's a nice long run if you set out to read them all. It's only a shame that Jacques passed away before the last one was published :(

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I read them when i was in elementary school as well. I loved them. Just imagining that the animals lived a mideival type society. I loved how the setting had such a history. I remember picking up one of the books, and not setting it down till I was finished. How awesome were the names of the badguys? Threeclaw, Ripthroat etc. haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Haha yes such awesome names! Fangburn, Ragear, Frogblood, Scumnose, Redtooth, Darkclaw.
Ah man I could go on, the baddies always had such great names.

You should do what I have done and pick one of them up again now. It will be interesting to see if you still like it as much as you did in school, I really do. I know what you mean about not being able to put them down! I considered them to be quite large books compared to what I used to read at that younger age but I still managed to read them so quickly.

I've heard that a cartoon was made of the show, but I've never seen it, I've only ever read the books.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I saw the cartoon. They got the storylines bang on, but the voices never seemed to match the characters. They made them too little kiddie sounding.

Also, I might try to get my hands on some of the books haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I only have a couple of the books right now, and those I just picked up second-hand from op-shops. I think it would be amazing to have all 21 of the books lined up on a bookshelf one day. Especially if they were all new and were from the same publisher with similar covers. Hmm, if only my book shelf wasn't already full.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Like you guys, I read the Redwall series in elementary school. The books enthralled me, and ate up lots of time. I think I read 12 of the books before I realized that the plot in each had the same basic format. So I got bored. Its been five years since I've read any, I might just have to pick one up.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
A very similar thing happened to me Magnum. I read about 10 of the books and realised how similar they all are to each other. It's worth re-reading them when you are older though, I am enjoying it heaps. I seem to always find them really cheaply at second-hand book stores as well.