Reds call up Jay Bruce, Hatteberg DFA

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Reds purchased the contract of outfielder Jay Bruce from Triple-A Louisville.

Considered by many to be the top prospect in baseball, Bruce hit .364/.393/.630 with 10 homers and 37 RBI in 49 games at Triple-A. There's little doubt that the 21-year-old center fielder has incredible long-term potential and he figures to be an improvement over Corey Patterson immediately, but a subpar 45/12 K/BB ratio suggests that he may have a tough time hitting for a big batting average or getting on base at a good clip right away. For now he's a must-grab in NL-only leagues, and shallow mixed leaguers with power issues should certainly consider him.
Reds designated first baseman Scott Hatteberg for assignment.

If Hatteberg wasn't happy about his role as a pinch-hitter and was making it well known in the clubhouse, then, yeah, he had to go. However, the Reds still should have dropped Corey Patterson as well, if only to keep Dusty Baker from being tempted to go back to him the first time Jay Bruce has a couple of hitless days in a row. They could have made both moves and called up Andy Phillips. Hatteberg is due right around $1.25 million over the rest of the season, so he should prove to be tradeable. The A's may consider bringing him back with Daric Barton slumping, and the White Sox, Indians, Blue Jays, Mets, Rangers and Mariners could all use another professional hitter.
Credit rotoworld.com...

I am kinda surprised Hatteberg was designated for assignment but it sounds like his role is limited. I mean when you have Joey Votto hanging around that'll happen. The Reds need to focus on their young stars...like Jay Bruce and see what they have. This team has a ton of young talent.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What a debut for one of the best propects in baseball, he went 3-3 at the dish, he got a standing ovation everytime he went to bat. This guy is going to be something special, I've been waiting to see what he can do against Major League pitching, because he's been tearing it up in the Minor Leagues. The Reds good a one in Bruce.