Red Wings sign F Franzen to 11-year deal

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

FOX Sports on MSN - NHL - Red Wings sign F Franzen to 11-year deal

This is the second player they sign this year to a long contract. Franzen as really came into his own during last year's Stanley Cup finals. He also had a great year this season. Even though 11 year is a very long time and anything can happen, its good to lock him up.

2. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

i agree. being a red wings fan, im glad they got zetterberg and franzen locked up for the long term.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I can understand the Zetterberg deal but Franzen I'm not so sure about. This is kinda ridiculous.

4. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I've never been a fan of huge deals like this. I know you want to lock up a good player, but whos to say he will even been a top player for 11 years? Whos to say he won't break his leg the next year. Plus, I cannot stand Franzen. I wish he'd go overseas to play hockey. Ha.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This deal makes so much sense for the Red Wings, because they save so much in this deal. I think it's pretty much for obvious for everyone that Franzen won't play his whole contract, by the time it's done hes going to be 42 years old.

I am not sure how the total numbers crunch up, but I believe during the last three years he'll be making one million a year. This works so much for the Red Wings cap, and this will give them a chance to sign Marian Hossa this off season.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

this deal is amazing and worries me. it worries me since everyone is talking about the cap going down in the 2010-11 season. though this shows uber-loyalty to players from the franchise. long term deals might just be the newest aspect of the league.