Red Sox star Ortiz: I never bought or used steroids

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

There's something about him that makes me believe him.. I don't know what it is, but there's something.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's because out of the guys who have been called out in that past several years, Ortiz is actually a likeable, friendly type of guy. Barry Bonds, Giambi, A-Rod, none of them have ever really had reputations for being friendly or even happy.

To me, this is what gets me. Everyone rips on Ortiz because he didn't answer many questions. Yet, everyone knows that the players are not provided with information of their tests. They are told, apparently, if they tested positive and that's it. Ortiz may not even know what he tested positive for. Another thing, when it comes to steroid testing, all they're testing for is T-levels or testosterone. If the levels are high, they call it a positive test because that's what steroids do, raise T-levels.

They don't actually scan for the thousands of potential supplements and steroids, they're much simpler than that.

Personally, I'm a bit hurt as a Sox fan but I want to hear what he tested positive for before I pass my judgment because lastly, Ortiz could have been taking a substance that was legal in 2003.

4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It seems weird to me that Ortiz is believed, but of the dozens of other people who said the same thing (that it's supplements, or something), nobody's believed.

5. Merc

Like I've said several times man, just look at the personality types. Ortiz is a player that even non-red sox fans like. He's a happy guy and a goof, a rare type these days it seems. The big names that have shown up before him are mostly egotistical pricks (Manny, A-Rod, Bonds) and with each one of them showing up, we're losing more and more faith in players as a whole. But when a guy like Ortiz shows up on a list like that, we don't want to believe it because only the jerk players were listed so far.

6. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

He does seem geniune and there's a lot of truth that he could have tested positive for an over the counter supplement...he's been tested countless times since then.

He's not the only one either I'm sure. This is the day in age we live in and it sucks.

7. Wade8813

Baseball's Steroid Era: List of Players Linked to Steroids and/or Human Growth Hormone

A lot of those players aren't jerks. Boone was always a happy guy, and a bit of a prankster. Pettitte was someone I never would have guessed would get mixed up in this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. Merc

Notice how I said BIG names in that post you quoted. Boone is hardly noticeable compared to Bonds, A-Rod, Palmiero, Clemens, Ortiz, Pettite, Giambi and Manny. Out of those guys, most of them are either total shut-ins (meaning they kept to themselves) or pricks (the three biggest actually being Bonds, A-Rod and Manny).

9. Wade8813

So, we expect big name players who take steroids to be jerks, but don't expect that from lesser known players?

10. Merc

Yeah, doesn't it make sense? How many times have you heard about a guy batting .250 with 10 homeruns and 34 RBIs complaining about how he should have a $20 million dollar contract because he's so good? None, exactly. It doesn't mean that all good players are jerks, but we certainly have grown to expect it, don't you think?

It's because bigger name players can afford to be jerks.