• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Red Sox sign Moncada

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Red Sox sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada for a reported $31.7 million, but the deal will actually cost them $63 million due to the penalty for exceeding the bonus pool for international signings.

Moncada may not stay at shorstop and he may not be ready this season, but everything I've heard and read places him as the best player to come to MLB from Cuba in decades.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/110016130 ... an-moncada

They outbid the Yankees, who offered him $25 million, and a few other teams. Yankees believe him to be at least two years away from the majors.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
He is 19 and a switch hitter with speed, they actually have him as a five tool player. He will be sent to MiLB probably Double A Portland to start and the projection is one to two years. His best positions reportedly are 2B, 3B then SS.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
goingtopshelf said:
He is 19 and a switch hitter with speed, they actually have him as a five tool player. He will be sent to MiLB probably Double A Portland to start and the projection is one to two years. His best positions reportedly are 2B, 3B then SS.
The big thing about the Sox signing Moncada is that they now would possibly be willing to deal Xander Bogaerts (or minor leaguers Rafael Devers or Deven Marrero) in a package for Cole Hamels.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
The big thing about the Sox signing Moncada is that they now would possibly be willing to deal Xander Bogaerts (or minor leaguers Rafael Devers or Deven Marrero) in a package for Cole Hamels.
I don't see that happening because they signed Moncada, every team that looked at him he's not ready for big league play at this time he needs a year maybe two. The hold up on Hamels with the Red Sox appears to be because they won't part with OF Mookie Betts or switch hitting catcher Blake Swihart. Philly wants a catcher that's major league ready or near major league ready badly to replace Carlos Ruiz. They also need outfield help and Boston is loaded there but I don't see them dealing Betts.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Sean McAdam, the Red Sox beat writer/reporter for Comcast Sports New England is tweeting Moncada likely to start in A Ball my guess is Salem which is their highest A Ball affiliate but I'd expect a rather quick promotion to AA Portland.

Moncada's agent is saying that Cuban exile Luis Tiant was a very important factor in Moncada choosing Boston. Tiant also played a role in the team signing Rusney Castillo last year. Appears El Tiante is a secret weapon.

rolewiii

He's not a Yankee and I'll get to see him play pretty often so this doesn't bother me at all. Red Sox are terrifying, though.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
rolewiii said:
He's not a Yankee and I'll get to see him play pretty often so this doesn't bother me at all. Red Sox are terrifying, though.
New York's front office has been the poster-child for inneptitude for a while. It's just showing up more now with an aging roster and the moves that Cashman "tried to make" as an excuse to cover up how bad of a job he did in planning for the future. The Yankees are about to enter a dark age

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yankees are over their allotted spending on international free agents as well, and would have to pay the 100 percent tax, too but George would not have let the Red Sox outbid him. Oddly, I had seen the other day that the Yankees were considering going to $50 million ($100 million total). It's possible they just wanted to bid up the Red Sox on him.

VJ_Sportsgeek

This kid is the real deal. Many scouts have went to watch this kid perform and they've been immensely impressed. And he's only 19, so he's got a lot of room to improve. A deal for Hamels seems imminent now as the Red Sox can shop a Xander Boegarts. But man, the Sox are filled with some quality prospects. The abundance if infield prospects that they have is amazing. And these aren't just regular prospects, these guys are the real deal.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
Yankees are over their allotted spending on international free agents as well, and would have to pay the 100 percent tax, too but George would not have let the Red Sox outbid him. Oddly, I had seen the other day that the Yankees were considering going to $50 million ($100 million total). It's possible they just wanted to bid up the Red Sox on him.
Report I saw had the Yankees around $25 M ($50 M total) for Moncada, they thought they had him as he did three private work outs for them. They were wrong.