Red Sox sign Japanese star pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
BOSTON -- Daisuke Matsuzaka threw his first pitch off the Fenway Park mound Thursday, the end of an 8,000-mile journey for a player the Red Sox hope will be their new ace.

Boston announced Matsuzaka's $52 million, six-year contract at a packed news conference that ended several long days of negotiation. Now the Red Sox want the Japanese star to follow Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez as a dominant major leaguer.

"In our minds, it was not a certainty until the very end," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said.

Red Sox officials and the pitcher's agent spent the early part of the week negotiating in Newport Beach, Calif., where bargaining often bogged down.

But on Wednesday morning -- with a preliminary agreement and Matsuzaka and agent Scott Boras on board -- Epstein and other team officials got on principal owner John Henry's plane and headed east.

Despite the often contentious negotiations, Red Sox officials, Matsuzaka and Boras smiled broadly at a news conference that was punctuated by repeated flashes from dozens of media cameras.

"I'd like to contribute to the world championship," Matsuzaka said. "I'd like to meet Curt Schilling."

Pitchers and catchers report for spring training on Feb. 16 in Fort Myers, Fla. Matsuzaka, 26, will join Schilling in a strong rotation that includes Josh Beckett, Jonathan Papelbon and Tim Wakefield. The Red Sox also will have another Japanese pitcher, left-handed reliever Hideki Okajima, in training camp. He signed Nov. 30.

"For the next six years we hope to get the prime of [Matsuzaka's] career," Epstein said. "We want Daisuke to be a Red Sox for the rest of his career."

They're certainly making a huge investment.

Add the team's winning $51.11 million bid for negotiating rights to the Japanese ace, which must be paid to the Seibu Lions by Dec. 21, to the $52 million contract and Boston's investment comes to $103.11 million. That doesn't include $8 million in escalators based on Matsuzaka winning awards.
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2697793

Personally, I think the Red Sox have acquired a possible ace for their rotation. After Schilling retires at the end of this season, I think Matsuzaka can be a potential canidate for the spot. His numbers in Japan are great and he took the MVP award during the World Baseball Classic.

What do you think?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think this guy is going to be something special, I watch almost every game in the World Baseball Classic, and he pitched really well, and I saw a lot of is highlights, and I was very impress. It might take him a few starts to adjust to the Major League players, because obviuously they're better then the Japanese hitters, but it shouldn't take him long.

I don't think he'll be the next Roger Clemens, he might be a good strike out pitcher, but he won't be has dominant has Clemens.

It's sucks that he signed with the Red Sox because the Jays are in the A.L East, and he's for sure going to help the Red Sox win games.

This also answes the Yankees signing Andy Pettite, who will help the Yankees rotation next season.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
I hope he's worth it, didnt they spend like over 100,000,000 on him, like half to get the rights to negotiate and the other half to sign him. This Gyro Ball better be special.

R

Rickster

Yea, they spent over $51M just to talk to him and then another $52M for a six-year deal (which can add another $8M when all is said and done). I'm a straight up Yankees fan, but that BoSox starting rotation looks scary. Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Lester. My god.

Atleast they won't be able to hold a lead in the 9th innings.

But back to Matsuzaka, I see him pitching about a 4.2 ERA, which for the money is a bit high, but this is only his first season.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
Two years ago this guy went 14-13 in Japan. I think the Sox are out of their minds to spend this kind of cash on an unproven pitcher against major league hitting.

Hoosier.

R

Rickster

Not to mention these lineups he'll be facing are considerably more talented than ones he previously faced.

C

Cowboy Up

When you combine the posting fee and the salary the figure is a little high, but the posting money doesn't count against the cap and the Sox are going to make an absurd amount of money in the Japanese market now. Assuming he can pitch with an ERA in the low 3's or something like that, even up to 4, I think it'll end up being worth it.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
When you combine the posting fee and the salary the figure is a little high, but the posting money doesn't count against the cap and the Sox are going to make an absurd amount of money in the Japanese market now. Assuming he can pitch with an ERA in the low 3's or something like that, even up to 4, I think it'll end up being worth it.
The problem as I see it isn't so much that he's unproven, or the cash that they spent. It's where they intend on using him in the rotation. With Papaelbon moving to the rotation, they're left with Timlin as a closer. Now, I like Mike Timlin as a set up man or middle relief innings eater, but I don't have much faith in him as a closer. Knowing that the Yuckees will more than likely sign the Rocket again, and still have Mariano closing, I felt they should have gone after a premier closer like Trevor Hoffman instead of another starter.

Hoosier.