Red Sox sign Japanese star pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Merc, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2697793

Personally, I think the Red Sox have acquired a possible ace for their rotation. After Schilling retires at the end of this season, I think Matsuzaka can be a potential canidate for the spot. His numbers in Japan are great and he took the MVP award during the World Baseball Classic.

What do you think?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think this guy is going to be something special, I watch almost every game in the World Baseball Classic, and he pitched really well, and I saw a lot of is highlights, and I was very impress. It might take him a few starts to adjust to the Major League players, because obviuously they're better then the Japanese hitters, but it shouldn't take him long.

I don't think he'll be the next Roger Clemens, he might be a good strike out pitcher, but he won't be has dominant has Clemens.

It's sucks that he signed with the Red Sox because the Jays are in the A.L East, and he's for sure going to help the Red Sox win games.

This also answes the Yankees signing Andy Pettite, who will help the Yankees rotation next season.

3. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

I hope he's worth it, didnt they spend like over 100,000,000 on him, like half to get the rights to negotiate and the other half to sign him. This Gyro Ball better be special.

4. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Yea, they spent over $51M just to talk to him and then another $52M for a six-year deal (which can add another $8M when all is said and done). I'm a straight up Yankees fan, but that BoSox starting rotation looks scary. Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Lester. My god.

Atleast they won't be able to hold a lead in the 9th innings.

But back to Matsuzaka, I see him pitching about a 4.2 ERA, which for the money is a bit high, but this is only his first season.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Two years ago this guy went 14-13 in Japan. I think the Sox are out of their minds to spend this kind of cash on an unproven pitcher against major league hitting.

Hoosier.

6. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Not to mention these lineups he'll be facing are considerably more talented than ones he previously faced.

7. Cowboy Up

Cowboy Up Guest

When you combine the posting fee and the salary the figure is a little high, but the posting money doesn't count against the cap and the Sox are going to make an absurd amount of money in the Japanese market now. Assuming he can pitch with an ERA in the low 3's or something like that, even up to 4, I think it'll end up being worth it.

8. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

The problem as I see it isn't so much that he's unproven, or the cash that they spent. It's where they intend on using him in the rotation. With Papaelbon moving to the rotation, they're left with Timlin as a closer. Now, I like Mike Timlin as a set up man or middle relief innings eater, but I don't have much faith in him as a closer. Knowing that the Yuckees will more than likely sign the Rocket again, and still have Mariano closing, I felt they should have gone after a premier closer like Trevor Hoffman instead of another starter.

Hoosier.

9. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

This guy may not have the best numbers, but from what I've seen is going to be nasty up on that mound.