TV Recording Television

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Oooh_snap, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Now-a-days with things like TiVo and DVR we have the option to pause, record, fast forward, and rewind T.V.

So my question to you is how often do you record television shows just so you can fast forward through the commercials?

Do you think commericals will eventually diminish because people aren't watching them anymore?

Do you strictly use it for when you will not be home when a movie or show you want to see will be on?

Do you ever record movies and then use a DVD writer to record the movie if you liked it so that you don't have to buy the DVD?

For me, I rarely get the television downstairs (which has a million channels vs. the 100 I get upstairs), so I have to record essentially anything that I want to watch. I like being able to fast forward through commercials, but I think there will always be commercials since they help pay for the shows that we watch.

2. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

Some commercials I fast-forward through. Some I actually like and watch them. My wife thinks I'm crazy for watching any commercials at all. "What's the point of having the thing if you're going to watch commercials?" she'll say to me. Which is only one of the many reasons why we have His&Hers TVs and DVRs.

They'll never get rid of commercials. Even if they have to find a way to integrate them into the show that you're watching (30 ROCK is already doing this) they're going to make you watch 'em one way or another.

I record everything on my DVR mainly because I like the idea of watching my TV shows and movies when I want to watch them. I like letting episodes of my favorite shows stack up and then on a Sunday having a mini-marathon of NCIS or MY NAME IS EARL or UGLY BETTY.

Yeah, I have a DVD player/recorder for just that purpose. I subscribe to DIRECTV and they're really good about giving free weekends of Showtime, Starz and HBO. So I record a bunch of movies on my DVR (100hrs) and the ones that I like and want to watch again I'll burn to a blank DVD. Most of 'em are older movies I really don't want to pay for. Newer movies I don't mind paying the full price for. But have you seen the prices that some of these stores want for a 10-year old movie? Outrageous.

3. Oooh_snap

My boyfriends mom records the heck out of movies when they have the free showtime, starz, hbo weekends. She always wants us to house sit and I don't mind doing it after those weekends lol.

I have noticed the huge amount of product placement in movies and shows lately. Complaints about it have been all over the TV and the internet.

English-Emo-Boy likes this.
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't have a DVR so I never record anything unless I have to, like if I won't be home and there's a game I want to see.

Commercials aren't going anywhere. Like Ferguson said, they'll find ways to make you see them.

5. DLFerguson

One discussion I usually have with people about DVRs goes like this: they'll come to my house, see it and ask what it is. I tell them and they'll say something like: "I really want one but I'm afraid I'll do nothing but watch TV all the time if I have it."

Both my wife and I have found that since we have DVRs we actually watch less TV than we used to since now we watch TV when we want to for how long we want to. There have been times when I've gone two or three days in a row without watching TV because I know my shows and movies are being recorded and saved for me to watch when I get ready to watch it.

6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I don't record anything anymore. All of the channels I watch the most have a +1 channel which shows the same thing an hour later. I have used that many times.

7. Oooh_snap

Oh yeah, I think you are the exception to the matter on this one. I definitely don't watch less TV, but I don't think I watch more either. I just watch TV when I have time like I always have. I don't have any regular shows I record or anything of that nature.

8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I don't record anything because I don't have a DVR or a TiVO. I'll catch the shows on primetime on there respective websites if I miss them. Otherwise I'm SOL.

9. DLFerguson

Really? One of the main reasons I got a DVR was so that I could record episodes of my favorite shows and not miss them. Right now I have Season Passes for

HOUSE
    FRINGE
    UGLY BETTY
    MY NAME IS EARL
    30 ROCK
    THE UNIT
    MAD MEN
    BREAKING BAD
    LIFE ON MARS
    ELEVENTH HOUR
    NCIS

There's a bunch of other shows I just record at a whim like HEROES or PUSHING DAISIES but I'm really not interested in them enough to follow from week to week.

10. Oooh_snap

There arent many shows i really really like watching. I stick with house, Project Runway, and Will and Grace lol. then everything else I watch on a WHim when I am bored