Recording Studio

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Anyone here tried to professionally record their music performance, like in a recording studio?

What do you like/dislike about it? Samples? :D

I like the result - it has better quality than trying to record stuff with a tape recorder. :lol:

The ones I recorded with a choral group got released in CA. It's a Christmas CD. I have some lines there but mostly it's a group thing.

In my other gigs (I freelance as singer), I recorded a demo that real popular artists will study, like a new medley with other artists, for a live variety show. I also recorded a food commercial demo song. Now that's funny coz I don't even like the food but I have to sound like it's the best in the world. Sorry, no samples for these or my other gigs.

Other than that, my sister and her husband has transformed one room in their house into a mini recording studio (great accessories). They have clients too like local bands wanting to come up with a demo disc. When I visit her, we jam (my bro in law is a fine guitarist).

What I don't like about recording is hearing my voice amplified on the headphones and I hear every breath intake and some stuff that distract me. Also, I don't like the feeling of being like in a fishbowl - when you're alone in the room with the microphone and stand, and facing you is the other room (glass partition) with all the others looking at you and probably talking about you but you can't hear them. It's almost like being a criminal in a holding room with a one way mirror for police observation. :rotfl:

I designed a recording studio as a project (it obviously wasn't built)

It would have had excellent acoustics...but I don't know how well it would have fared in an earthquake...

As far as recording in a studio, I prefer a live performance recording, assuming the engineer knows what he's doing. Most studio engineers compress, gate, filter, and process a recording so much, it stops sounding like what the performer actually played. Live engineers that record to a CD only compress, add some effects (usually pre-discussed with the preformer, unless it's simple reverb on a vocal or something) and EQ, wich is usually necessary for the room to not build up certen frequencys and feed back... Any who.

Live recordings are better because they are less processed.

One exists on this site somewhere, but it sucks because my neighbor gets really mad when I play loud.

There is also one of my trying to play polyphonics (two notes at the same time on one trumpet) but that recording sucks because...I can't play polyphonics...lol

Maybe ill go to an actual studio and record something for this site. That would be fun.