• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Recommended Mega Drive/Genesis games

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I recently got hold of a Mega Drive, and I have around 18 games for it at the moment. Problem is, they're mostly sporting games, so I'm looking to get hold of some games I'm actually going to play. Does anyone have any recommended or required games?

List of games so far:
Jungle Strike
PGA European Tour
PGA Tour Golf
PGA Tour Golf II
Ultimate Soccer
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade: The Action Game
Centurion: Defender of Rome
Space Harrier II
Mega Games I
Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA All Stars
PGA Tour 96
Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge
Super WrestleMania
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3
Sonic 3D (No matter how much you plead, I'm not burning it)

fleinn

...castlevania bloodlines? And that fighting game where you hang upside down in the roof, and slash the sword in a full arc of lighting.. Strider, I think.. Comix Zone? ..Other classics that also came out on the Megadrive... Prince of Persia and "Another World".. Second Samurai.. did that come out on the Megadrive? Speedball 2 is a good game (sports, though :p ). Also, one of the "Dungeons and Dragons" rpgs that came out, with the dungeon view... can't remember the name of that one, or the other "D&D RPG" where you see the characters from the side.. But they were comparatively good (just.. not when I started playing xcom).

Oh, yeah - the original Phantasy Star and "Ys" games :)

Possibly you should get Zero Wing as well, just to be part of an undeniable piece of genuine gaming culture.

(And Sonic and Knuckles - only Sonic game I ever managed to play through.. :shifteyes:)

Last edited:

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
Sonic Spinball. Contrary to popular belief, it's actually good!

Also, try some games like Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers, Daffy goes to Hollywood, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Quackshot, Castle of Illusion, Outrun and any of the Mortal Kombats.

Also worth looking into (for fighting games) is Eternal Champions.

Syndicate

Chirp Chirp
Lots of great games already mentioned. The MD did have a pretty awesome library. I still play many old ROM on my PSP. Some games that I consider of classic status that I don't think have been listed yet:

Streets of Rage series.
Desert Strike.
Shinobi (III?).
Golden Axe series.
Toejam & Earl.
Road Rash.
World of Illusion.
Splatterhouse.
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (was ported).
Gunstar Heroes.
Contra.
Battletoads.
Micro Machines.
Earthworm Jim.
Shining Force II.
Wonder Boy.
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
Decap Attack.

Can't think of any more but that's a big enough list anyway! Boy I had some fun with that console.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Get Sonic and Knuckles and put Sonic 2 inside the top! It's so fun playing Sonic 2 as Knuckles. You get to fly and climb all the walls to get extra lives.

Syndicate

Chirp Chirp
I'm surprised you didn't mention Rolo To The Rescue, Bliss. I was banking on it. :p

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'm surprised you didn't mention Rolo To The Rescue, Bliss. I was banking on it. :p
Oh, I love that game too but I didn't think it'd appeal to Storm. Rolo is probably my favourite game for the Mega Drive because of all the fun I had playing it when I was younger.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I'll probably get it at some point in the future, though, being a budding collector and all...

Right, thanks for the replies so far. I'll draw myself up a list of what I've been given and go from there.

Ristar and both Vectorman games are excellent. NBA Jam is also damn fun, but make sure you get a multi-tap to play it four-player.

fleinn

Zool - another amiga platformer. Earth Worm Jim - platformer rivaling Jazz JackRabbit in some ways. Possibly also MegaTurrican, if you like that sort of thing.

Did anyone mention Road Rash yet? Never liked it myself, but some people think it's the greatest thing ever made.

There's a game I'm sort of remembering... a side- scrolling beat- em up. You're going to the underworld to kick someone in the head.. for some reason.. Lord.. something.. *sigh*