• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Recommend me an MP3 player!

Falconer

Registered Member
Here's the situation. My iPod is on its way out, which is sad, but it was going to happen sooner or later. I'm vaguely moving away from Apple products -- while they're pretty, I find they're often overpriced and I've fallen out with Apple since they made me pay again for music I'd already bought from iTunes after they changed to DRM-free (bah). Besides, my phone is Android, my OS is Linux... it would seem a bit strange to have an iPod again under those circs. When I got it years ago I was on a non-OS standard candybar phone and running Windows because... that was what the laptop came with, and I'm a bit more picky now. ;P

Linux is, unfortunately, the problem. I haven't had problems with the iPod per se and I would consider just getting another one if not for the prohibitive costs, but it's not liking talking to any of the media players I can get for Linux (currently running Rhythmbox on Ubuntu 11.04) which is... frustrating, to say the least.

I have something in the region of 35+gb of music (off the top of my head) so it needs at least 60gb memory, because I'm daft like that and just like having everything with me, rather than fussing on trying to figure out what I feel like listening to every morning. And of course, it needs to talk nice with Linux, so as much as I love the look of the Zune HDs, they're out.

Any suggestions, anyone? Anybody running a similar system? What do you use and how well does it work for you?

DarkWingedAngel

Registered Member
I would reccomend a sansa mp3 player. They are pretty good and depending on the one you get can hold quit a bit of music, so you should check it out. I got one as a gift for someone one year and wished I had just kept it for myself >.< hehe I personally still have my iPod shuffle for working out, so I am pretty low maintenance when it comes to my music. :) Good luck on your search for a new mp3 player though!

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Many years ago I had a Creative Zen MP3 player, this one to be precise and it was a great device until the day I was running for a bus and it dropped out of my pocket and I killed the HDD in it.

The first question I would ask Falc is what do you want from it? Do you want it for Apps or just for music? What is your price range and how much music do you wish to store? Do you want podcasts or are you not bothered? You mentioned that your phone is an android device, what make is it? I am sure you can buy 16gb sd cards for a decent price these days, would that do you or does it have to be over this?

BigBob

Registered Member
Nevermind. I skipped the part where you said a Zune is out because of the capabilities.

Last edited:

Falconer

Registered Member
Wow, thanks for the thoughtful questions Ginock. Let's take these in order...

The first question I would ask Falc is what do you want from it? Do you want it for Apps or just for music?
I have my phone for apps, so just purely music is fine by me. It doesn't even have to be especially fancy -- as long as it's not a brick, can be stored nicely in my pocket, and won't get me mocked too mercilessly by twelve-year-old chavs (that last one's only a half-serious concern ;P the chavs can go and suck on one for all I care), if it holds a whole lot of music and has decent playback quality, we're golden!

What is your price range and how much music do you wish to store?
I think I have something like 35gb of music and I'm just not the type of person who can decide "I want to listen to this today", so ideally I'd like something that can store all of that with a bit of room to expand my library. Price range... I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking maybe in the region of £200-£250, but I'm not even sure whether or not that's reasonable.

Oh, that's another minor issue I forgot to mention -- I'm in the UK and some of what I'm finding online seems to have only been released in the US and/or Asia, not Europe/UK. Bit frustrating!

Do you want podcasts or are you not bothered?
Not really bothered. I look up the odd National Geographic podcast or download one now and then if, say, I hear about it on the radio and think it sounds good, but I'm not subscribed to anything.

You mentioned that your phone is an android device, what make is it? I am sure you can buy 16gb sd cards for a decent price these days, would that do you or does it have to be over this?
I've thought about this but my major problem here is battery life. I charge my phone up every night, which I don't mind, it's a high-ish powered smartphone with constant net access, etc, so I expect it to run its battery down fairly quickly. I tried using it for music for a while but that absolutely slaughtered its battery, so it's not something I'm really looking at unless I can figure out a way to seriously improve the battery life. Turning off the mobile data helps, but not enough. And 16gb's a bit small capacity anyway. If only, though! Using my phone would solve all my problems, but it's not really practical.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't notice you asked what make! It's an HTC Desire Z.

Thanks again for taking the time to ask questions, Ginock, I appreciate your help!

Last edited: