Recommend a Cell Phone & Plan

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright, I am looking for a new cell phone. Does anybody know of any good deals to recommend?

I am looking at Sprint or T-Mobile at the moment but don't HAVE to go with them. I am out of my current contract so I am free to go wherever.

I need suggestions for a phone and also a decent plan.

I have had my last phone since 2004 so I am not easily excited with options such as cameras, texting or internet but I would like to get something that supports Bluetooth.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Dude Sprint is the most expensive service out there, I've looked and I have TMobile, piece of garbage. The internet is going out daily, there customer service sucks donkey balls, they screw up on my billing, I get spam text messages from THEM which I never asked for, you cant block phone numbers, and they wont honor my unlimited everything which I had with Suncom when I got swapped over to them which I never asked for because they bought out Suncom. Go with AT&T or Verizon but Verizon doesn't have the flexible plans that I like. I'm going to AT&T when my contract is up in May.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dude Sprint is the most expensive service out there, I've looked and I have TMobile, piece of garbage.
A lot of that depends on where you live though. I've had Sprint for years with no problems really at all.

I have Sprint and they have some pretty good phones. What kind are you looking for?
Undecided right now but one phone I am looking at isn't available with Sprint. As much as I said I didn't want internet, etc on my phone I'm starting to think more and more that it might be a nice extra. :lol:

I'm looking at the BlackBerry Curve 8900 at the moment:

BlackBerry - T Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8900 - BlackBerry TMobile

It doesn't come out for another month or so though and I have no phone in the meantime. I canceled it today. :lol:

Last edited:

Blueyes

Registered Member
Go with AT&T dude if you really want the blackberry, they just recently lowered there data unlimited and message unlimited plans to 30/mo and make sure your model as the wifi option because the 8820 doesn't. I'm telling ya I've been looking I know :) I can't get the 8900 as of yet and haven't seen the paperwork saying it will be coming here. We have a contract with all the services so I get to see what's out there :)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Go with AT&T dude if you really want the blackberry, they just recently lowered there data unlimited and message unlimited plans to 30/mo and make sure your model as the wifi option because the 8820 doesn't.
Yeah I just heard about the Wifi option yesterday. It does sound pretty convenient. What would you consider the main benefit of having it vs. not having it if your data plan is unlimited anyway?

Also, I'm not looking at the 8820. I was looking at the 8900 (will only be available with T-Mobile), which seems to be fairly similar to the Bold, which is only available with AT&T.

BlackBerry Bold - Specifications - BlackBerry Bold Specs

BlackBerry - Specifications - BlackBerry Curve 8900 Specs

From what I've seen so far for what I am looking for I can get the 8900 (when it comes out) with a plan for at least $10 less per month than the BlackBerry Bold with AT&T on an identical plan.

How often do you use a mobile?
Not terribly often but I've been using it more and more lately. I already miss having a cell phone.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Well, if you're not planning on increasing your phone usage a lot, I'd personally recommend going with a pay as you go system. Turns out to be rather cheap in the long run, but only if you don't use it a hell of a lot.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm in the middle of new contracts to, in fact mine is up at the end of March. Im using Verizon, and through a greuling process of adding a line last night (the process wasnt hard we just kept hitting personal snags that made it sorta frustrating). So I headed on down to the big Verizon store in my town and took the Blackberry 8330 for a test drive. I was really unimpressed, I dont care for the rollerball mouse it uses... The keyboard is alright but seems like there are a few buttons that could be moved.

All in all so far I'm gonna end up just sticking with my phone since nothing they had impressed me.

However! I did find out I've been getting the stiff end on my bill! Turns out Verizon updated their Data plans.... Back in the day when I first set my contract up I went with the Unlimited data plan for $44.99, which was what I knew I was gonna need considering the other plans were limited data per month with some nasty overage fees. So at the time there was only 1 Unlimited plan.

Come to find out Verizon got rid of all the plans and now has 2 Unlimited plans. One for $22.99 and one for $44.99.... the cheaper is the one I should have been on considering its just a standard unlimited plan. The more expensive adds an extra firewall, supposedly the purpose of that is for more secure emailing and data transfer... But I'm just a college student so what in the heck do I need that for :hah: So needless to say my bill got cheaper because of this whole venture.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I've had AT&T/Cingular for a few years now. I always have service no matter where I go, and it's relatively inexpensive.