• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Reclining seats on passenger jets

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So far there has been 3 incidents in the last week with reclining seats. I'm wondering if they should do away with reclining seats at least on short flights or maybe limit how much they recline. Either that or give them more space or there will be more fights. Sounds like they are cramming people on these planes a little too tight.

What do you think about this? Have you ever had a problem with it?

Outburst over reclining seat causes another flight to be diverted - CBS News

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think they should just do away with reclining seats outside of first class/business class. Personally, I don't like it when the person in front of me puts their seat back because I have very long legs. I opt to never recline my own seat out of respect to the person behind me. But as long as the seats have recliners on them, then passengers have every right to use them (but that doesn't make it respectful to do so, in my opinion).

I will say that it doesn't bother me THAT much since I usually fly Southwest and they space their seats quite a bit more than other airlines. All of the other airlines I've been on cram the rows so tightly that it is unbearable.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've flown Frontier and United before (last time was Frontier in 2010). The seats didn't recline to any insane degree but it was definitely noticeable when the person in front of me decided to recline.

I would support having a certain space requirement to avoid issues like this. I have fairly short legs so it doesn't impact me quite as much.

What I really hate on a plane is sitting next to a fat person, it's just the worst. Crying babies are also terrible.

Here's an interesting read on this subject. It’s no wonder fliers are fighting over legroom. Just look at these numbers. - The Washington Post

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've flown Frontier and United before (last time was Frontier in 2010). The seats didn't recline to any insane degree but it was definitely noticeable when the person in front of me decided to recline.

I would support having a certain space requirement to avoid issues like this. I have fairly short legs so it doesn't impact me quite as much.

What I really hate on a plane is sitting next to a fat person, it's just the worst. Crying babies are also terrible.

Here's an interesting read on this subject. It’s no wonder fliers are fighting over legroom. Just look at these numbers. - The Washington Post
Seats and space are getting smaller while people are getting bigger.

Pre-reclined, how precious. Why not just call them fixed. Hope they are reclined slightly so if you dose your head doesn't go forward

Tiny swiveling toadstool for a seat, hope someone sees how dumb that would be. Next they will just stack seats on top of each other.

Don't think I would want to sit next to someone really fat or a crying baby/kid either. Someone really tall wouldn't be pleasant for that matter with the declining space. If your in the window seat and need to get up getting past them would be hard.

Clare

Registered Member
Seems a bit ridiculous that the flights had to be diverted for this, haha. It must be really common though... It seems like most flights I've been on I've had the seat in front recline at the soonest possible moment, i.e. the second the seat belt sign clicks off, lol. For short flights there's no need for reclining seats.

In terms of the seat sizes... I'm not surprised they're making them as small as possible. After all if you've got a cheap ticket with a budget airline then you're getting a pretty good deal for the service, I think. Your airlines seem to be doing fine though... Qantas and Virgin Australia made some insane losses this year, I'm not sure how they even manage to keep going. They'll probably install the revolutionary 'bicycle seats' soon :lol:

dDave

V.I.P.
Seems a bit ridiculous that the flights had to be diverted for this, haha. It must be really common though... It seems like most flights I've been on I've had the seat in front recline at the soonest possible moment, i.e. the second the seat belt sign clicks off, lol. For short flights there's no need for reclining seats.

In terms of the seat sizes... I'm not surprised they're making them as small as possible. After all if you've got a cheap ticket with a budget airline then you're getting a pretty good deal for the service, I think. Your airlines seem to be doing fine though... Qantas and Virgin Australia made some insane losses this year, I'm not sure how they even manage to keep going. They'll probably install the revolutionary 'bicycle seats' soon :lol:
Airlines have to really do it right to make profit in today's world, profit margins (despite sometimes insane ticket costs) aren't all that much for airlines.

Flying is pretty cheap these days if you plan it right, the airlines have to make profit somehow. I'm not too particularly fond of tight spaces but I understand why the airlines do it. Obviously, customers aren't going to just stop flying, it's working out for them.

techgirlable

So far there has been 3 incidents in the last week with reclining seats. I'm wondering if they should do away with reclining seats at least on short flights or maybe limit how much they recline. Either that or give them more space or there will be more fights. Sounds like they are cramming people on these planes a little too tight.

What do you think about this? Have you ever had a problem with it?

Outburst over reclining seat causes another flight to be diverted - CBS News
I hate it. I regularly fly, often long hauls. Someone laying back is the worst. Its hard to see your screen, and because I am very tall I feel like just to fit into the space thats left for me I have to lay my own chair back, which sucks for the guy behind me.