• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Reclaim the Swastika?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
If you see the below image you could be forgiven for calling someone showing it a fascist:

This is indeed the swastika however it was not the one as you may know that was used by the hitler that is shown below:

They are however two symbols for one thing. They are the same symbol and are and were used by many different groups before Hitler got his hands on it. In the article posted below they discuss the idea of reclaiming the symbol and trying to take away it's horrific history.

How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it

In the Western world the swastika is synonymous with fascism, but it goes back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world. As more evidence emerges of its long pre-Nazi history in Europe, can this ancient sign ever shake off its evil associations?

In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, swastika means "well-being". The symbol has been used by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains for millennia and is commonly assumed to be an Indian sign.

Early Western travellers to Asia were inspired by its positive and ancient associations and started using it back home. By the beginning of the 20th Century there was a huge fad for the swastika as a benign good luck symbol.

Credit: BBC News
But could it be done? Could the evil connotations ever be taken away?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't looked for people to associate the swastika with anything else but the Nazis for a very long time, like centuries. Hitler's association with it sticks out in everyone's mind so much more than anything else it ever stood for.