Reciprocity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysabel, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

In your relationships, are you usually the giver or taker or is it a good balance between the two?

Are you hesitant to ask for favors from someone with whom you haven't really been "generous" or there for them (when you could)?

Do you have friends or acquaintances who seem to appear only in your life when they need something from you? Does this affect your decision to help them?

2. LadyPinky

LadyPinky scientia potestas est

I tend to be more of a giver. And sometimes people I know take advantage of that. Lately I have vowed not to associate with people who use me. I rarely ask for favors, only from my closest friends. But even then I feel odd doing it for some reason.

ysabel likes this.
  3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Usually giver but there has to be a minimum level of receiving or I get bored.

Yes, I'm hesitant to ask favors from someone I have not accorded the same favor when I could.

Yes. A couple of weeks ago I got an IM from someone who barely talks to me and she sounded like she was so happy to see me :blahblah: and the conversation led to asking me to be her sponsor for an event. :-/ It all makes sense where the sudden friendly vibe came from. It does affect my decision to help them. I'm more open to helping someone who I have a real relationship to speak of rather than a relationship that appears only when the need arises.

4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Both. More of a giver, though.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Butter.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

In your relationships, are you usually the giver or taker or is it a good balance between the two?
    I'd say there's a pretty good balance but I lean more towards being a giver. I enjoy doing things for people.

Are you hesitant to ask for favors from someone with whom you haven't really been "generous" or there for them (when you could)?
    Definitely. I find it hard to ask people for favours who I am close to also.

Do you have friends or acquaintances who seem to appear only in your life when they need something from you? Does this affect your decision to help them?
    Not for a long time but I have experienced that before. It does affect my decision but I am pretty generous so I'd probably still help them in the end.

ysabel likes this.
  6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I'm normally the first to give but if there are never any signs of return then I become stubourn and stop giving all together.

Totally, I think it's wrong to expect things from someone that you failed to help. However I dont really ever find myself in that situation because there are certain friendships I have with people whom I know I could ask anything of and they would ask me the same.

This again is a rare occurance for me but there will always be people popping up now again trying their luck to see what they can get from you. I tend to assess the situation, "are they just being a user?" or are they a "user who has no other choice but to ask me for help". If it's the latter, then I will help aslong as it is reasonable to do so. I can't resist being someones last hope :lol: ride the glory babe.

7. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

When you're done typing, Alt, I could do with another foot rub. Cheers! :D

Our relationship is.. er, let me check Bliss' answer. That's a girl! Our relationship is pretty balanced, I agree. I don't think either really gives or takes more than the other overall but it varies in certain areas of the relationship. I'll tidy the entire house up spontaneously and Bliss will suprise me with a cold beer. Despite doctors telling me I have a larger sized heart than normal (literally), I'll conceed that she often outdoes me for angelic thought.

I seldom ask for a favour at the worst of times. Even less likely to if I'll be in debt too.

I've met plenty of people matching that description. When I get that feeling, I'll give at most a once time benefit of the doubt and any follow up request won't be getting my seal of approval without a fight.

8. Altanzitarron

Then it's my turn maybe? :D

Syndicate likes this.
  9. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

Uh, yeah.. about that.. I have prearranged plans, sorry. Maybe next time!

;)

10. Altanzitarron

PLANS! your going to see that hoar again aren't you!?

Just kidding Bliss :p