• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Really hearing lyrics

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Some musicians are very clear in speaking their lyrics, and you can hear and analyze them as you listen to the song.

Some are mumbled or speaking too fast, and unless you have a quick and directed ear, you may miss them.

With that in mind:

1. How important is it to you in music that you can clearly hear lyrics without having to read them later? Or do you even care enough to look them up if you can't?

and/or

1a. Are lyrics themselves even important to you?

2. Do you ever find yourself liking music just on the rhythm and instruments when the lyrics aren't clear?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Lyrics are very important to me. My favorite songwriters are my favorites because they are lyrical geniuses, or at least amazing story tellers (Bruce Springsteen, Roger Waters, Maynard James Keenan).

I will google lyrics if I can't understand them, particularly if I think the song has a good message or story.

Yes, I will enjoy the music if I can't understand the lyrics. Same goes if I don't really care for the lyrics. For example, I don't really agree with the lyrics of Vicarious by Tool ("the Universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive so it is, so it's always been"), and Tool's Prison Sex is just downright disturbing, but the music is still good.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I do prefer songs where the lyrics are more clear. However, I do listen to heavy metal music where the lyrics aren't even really the point of the song so it doesn't matter if they are discernible. Basically if the lyrics are clear, they need to be good. If the lyrics are mumbled or screamed or whatever and unclear as what they're saying, the music and instruments had better be good. If its both, BONUS!

Danno

Registered Member
Lyrics are very important to me. I like my music to speak to me and the instrumental part of a song is just not enough.

Sadly, it seems that in the modern world, meanings in songs have disappeared.

Elanor

Registered Member
The songs I love are ones that have lyrics which mean something to me. Like Jeanie I love Bruce Springsteen, his lyrics are beautiful and completely relatable.

The music is usually what draws me in, but it is the lyrics that keep a song with me.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I agree with the consensus - lyrics are often really important. I can enjoy songs that don't have lyrics (or where the lyrics are completely unclear), but I tend to be careful with those. I avoid songs with certain types of lyrics, so I might decide not to listen to a song I liked, after looking up the lyrics.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Not going to lie, at least 50% of the time I don't even listen to the lyrics, just the beat etc. When I do I tend to think about them, and how they could apply to different situations etc in my mind, especially while I'm walking.

I'd say about 70% of all the music I listen to though doesn't even have lyrics. I don't know why, I've always just loved music as it is. I listen to heaps of artists that have no lyrics, and heaps of instrumental scores to movie and game soundtracks etc.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't necessarily have to like or love the lyrics to like or love the song. The beat and sound usually draw me in first, but the ones with the good lyrics are the ones that will stick with me and become my favorites.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Lyrics are extremely important. If I don't like them or can't relate, I won't like the song, regardless of how good the beat is.