• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Realignment Put Off

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
NHL delays realignment after NHLPA refuses consent - NHL.com - News

The NHLPA has rejected the proposed realignment plan for next year. That means we are stuck with 6 divisions for another year. The Jets will stay in the Southeast division. The NHLPA hasn't released their statement yet, but I eagerly await it. I really don't know why they would reject it. It would have solved a lot of travel issues and would have satisfied the fans' desires to see all 29 other teams in action in their building.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That makes no sense to me either. The proposal was really good. Did they give any reasoning behind rejecting the plan?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If anything I was hoping the jets could have been moved into a conference where they travel less for away games lol. Maybe that would help improve their shaky performance at away games.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Word out of NHL insiders is that this is the beginning of a long fight between the league and the NHLPA that will start when negotiations for the new CBA begin. It could even lead to a, *shudder*, lockout if they can't get their shit together. The NHLPA was just said to be flexing its muscle when they rejected the offer, showing that they have a say in what goes on in the league, meaning that it is more of a power trip for the PA than there being a real, glaring problem with the proposal that would cause it to be rejected.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Well that just stinks. Shouldn't the players association be more interested in players playing hockey, than politics and money? Who cares if they have muscle? Also whats CBA?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
CBA is a collective bargaining agreement. It's essentially an agreement between the Players Association and the owners of the teams with regards to revenue sharing as well as other issues.

It's a shame that the realignment is being put off, it had so much potential to shake some things up in the league and revive a rather dead on arrival playoff structure if that was to change as well.

And if this leads to a lockout, the NHL will lose a lot of fans... again.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's the NHLPA's statement on realignment

STATEMENT FROM NHLPA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DON FEHR REGARDING PROPOSED REALIGNMENT

Well, here's we get into bullshit on the part of the league

In order to evaluate the effect on travel of the proposed new structure, we (NHLPA)requested a draft or sample 2012-13 schedule, showing travel per team. We were advised it was not possible for the League to do that.
How pathetic is that?

Not sure what the major issues will be in the next CBA but length of contract will probably be. League will likely want a max five year contract.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a bunch of crap...

I was really looking forward to the shake up. I don't know what else to say, I'm pissed.

Ivan13

Registered Member
Don Fehr is a douche, he's trying to prove somthing to the world after he failed with the MLBPA and that whole steroid debacle and every NHL fan is going to suffer because of that.

And this really isn't about the realingment, the players are afraid that the NHL will reduce their revenue sharing from 58% to an even split and this is only some way to advert the attention from that. They'll try to blackmail the NHL into meating their demands using this realingment crap as leverage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Baseball 15
Crypticshock Hockey 0
S Hockey 6
Millz Hockey 5
Major College Sports 43