• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Real-time Cloaking, no pun intended

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.wimp.com/invisiblepeople/

Have a look. I heard about these from a friend who went to NexFest and actually saw them.

Wow.. just wow. I want one.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Blah, he's not invisible. He's about 23% transparent, tops.

I say visual effects. There's no evidence of a device being used, or that it's reasonably responsible for what we see.

And it's only the clothes, not the face, that's doing the disappearing.

Wrecked

Registered Member
clicked the link and my firefox crashed.

i'm assuming it's the same footage from a few years back that the japanese are developing, where you're able to project an image on a certain type of material.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's real. RarePD, who isn't online much, but is someone I trust, was at the 2005 NexFest and he witnessed the stuff in person and took pictures as well. He has posted here a few times too. Maybe he will see this and confirm. :)

Gamechamp

Registered Member
*jaw drops*

And yet they haven't invented chocolate clothing yet? What gives?

This is flipping amazing. I never thought we'd be able to do anything like this within a hundred years. Something tells me those robots are just around the corner...

So, does anybody know how exactly they do it?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Last I heard it involved tiny mirrors and lenses of some sort that basically take the image directly behind it and show it on the other side, so no matter what angle you look at you will still see straight through.

I want one of these LOL! Can you imagine how cool that would be to wear around?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
With a lot more work, they can get the clearness problem set up and have someone appear almost completely invisible. The face problem can be fixed just by wearing one of those screens on the face like kids' halloween masks.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I still don't see the clear presence of some device that's doing it. It seems like there's so much going on in those pictures that it could be anything or everything that's doing it, and it's likely that if you take one thing away from the set, it could jack everything else up. Isn't that why they usually test these kinds of things in labs???

Wrecked

Registered Member
i watched the vid.

it works like how i stated above. project [ using a special projector ] an image on special material.

i "think" it was mainly developed for surgeons so they could see everything while they were operating.