Real life PATRIOT ACT horror story

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, May 5, 2009.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I've heard of Patriot Act abuses for years, but I've never seen a case where American citizens were affected. Not implying anything - just saying I haven't stumbled across it. This is a frightening clip.
    YouTube - USA using Patriot Act against its own citizens

Even though AG Holder has said some racist things in the past and he's a little overboard on the waterboarding thing, I really, seriously like him. I hope he can/will step in.

2. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

Not coming from America and not really knowing anything about the politics there, I must say that The Patriot Act is a good thing but this story is shocking and I think more could/should of been done by the FBI before arresting the kid.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I've always been a little unsure about the Patriot act... I can see where it may be useful and the good that comes with it, but at the same point (in the case of this video) I can see how it can be abused as well.

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

If it helps anyone I never was a fan of the Patriot Act...and I'm still not, unless of course Congress revises it so it actually protects rights rather than compromises them.

5. pro2A

When is government ever concerned about our rights? :rolleyes:

Both parties are guilty. Here lately I've been leaning more towards individulism and liberty (Libertarian) rather then either party.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I always was as well. The provision I did approve of though was the one that allows the FBI and CIA to share information easier. When the FBI was investigating the first WTC bombing in '93 they were unable to share any information under federal law that they were gathering in regards to Ramzi Yousef and the Blind Sheik until after the trial. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of the Patriot Act.

7. pro2A

That and it allows it to monitor terrorist calls overseas. While I agree with that, I was just labeled a terrorist by my own government... so the Democrats could use the Patriot Act to their advantage as well :-/

They were the one's complaining about it all along... it was the straw that broke the camels back in my mind. The one thing that said both parties are corrupt.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think the following Ben Franklin quote applies here. While I've had mixed feelings on the Patriot Act in the past, the more I hear about stories like this the more I think it needs to be abolished and declared unconstitutional (because it is really).

9. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never supported the Patriot Act; I believe it was the first step toward a fascist dictatorship.

That clip is horrifying - it sounds more like something that would have happened in Chile under Pinochet.