Real Books or Kindle?

Real Books or Kindle?

• Total voters

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
There have been a few discussions of electronic readers such as Amazon's Kindle on PM, but it's been serval years. With that time, the technology has gotten a bit better and, as @Mirage predicted a few years ago, it had gotten somewhat cheaper.

So -- do you prefer real books or a Kindle? Why?

I've always been on the side of real books because I look at enough screens already. Also the feel, smell, and collectibility of real books has always been something I've enjoyed.

I was looking at some Prime Day deals today and admit that the Kindle is starting to appeal to me, but for now I'll likely stick to real books.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me it’s books because I like to have the physical copy. If you follow me on Twitter, then you know I am building quite the Baseball books collection. I not only love to read the books, I just like to know I also own it.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Real books, always.

That's not to say I don't like digital books. I like the convenience of them and the impact they have on the environment, but it'll never be the same as cracking the spine of a brand new book. Plus, manga, graphic novels and comics are infinitely better in print than digital.

Impaired

Registered Member
I prefer real books - although I have found I do enjoy reading on my tablet, especially using a black background and white text. Much easier on the eyes.

I just love books. I love to read.

For any people who grew up with the computer age, Ready Player One is excellent.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer audio books lately, but audio books don't go on a shelf, and I also like to display my books, so it's a pickle haha.

Impaired

Registered Member
I love audio books - it started when my youngest was little - we got her audio tapes at the library for long car trips.

Turns out some of these are just wonderful. Lynn Reid Banks, the woman who wrote the Indian in the Cupboard, is a born story teller. So is Jim Dale, who reads the Harry Potter books.

I do contract work so often driving to different places sometimes far away - 3 hours with a good audio book while getting paid is not too shabby.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What's to love about Audio books? I'm not informed about them, so I'm just curious.
You've never used one? Basically somebody reads the whole book to you so you can listen whike you drive or multitask a work or around the house. As long as the voice reading it is good for listening, it can be a very enjoyable experience.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You've never used one? Basically somebody reads the whole book to you so you can listen whike you drive or multitask a work or around the house. As long as the voice reading it is good for listening, it can be a very enjoyable experience.
Maybe it’s different for me since I’m French, and mostly read English books, but isn’t improving your vocabulary, and get more knowledgeable with words one of the reasons to read the actual book, and not have someone else reading it for you?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that actually reading the book is better for improving vocabulary and grammar, but if I'm driving, I can't be reading an actual book. I might as well be listening to one instead of just listening to music. Maybe I'm just a millennial, haha, but audio books are pretty huge in the US at least.

I typically listen to non-fiction books as audio. If I'm reading a story, I usually prefer to read it the old-fashioned way, but not always.