Reading Online

Hi everyone I would like to know whether its possible to read a full book in online through some libraries without paying. I wish to read SCJP study guide. Is it possible? Someone help me find a solution in this.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Unless the copyright has expired then it's illegal to read it for free online, so most books that you'd probably want to read won't be online for free. (I think that book copyrights last over 50 years or more)

I wouldn't like to read books online anyway, I can't stand the fact that in school they give you your textbook online, I hate sitting at a computer to read something that I could be reading in a real book with pages, computers hurt your eyes if you're on them for too long.

you might want to consider buying the actual book.

Last edited:

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
Yup, like dDave said, most books you want to read won't be available online, at least not for free, so I think you're stuck paying if you really want to read that study guide.

You can actually find some pretty good books online for free though that have expired copyrights. For example, I finished "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells over my work shifts yesterday and today. I think that's a pretty good indicator of how slow work has been given I had enough time to start and finish a book :lol: It really is a strain on the eyes though, wooo...I feel all googly eyed now.

redsoxocd

living on the border
I know that in the Boston Public Library system if you have a card you can download books from the library site and then after the time that you would normally have it you just took the book out (3 weeks) they take it back. Its impossible to print the document or burn the music that you may have gotten.

browneyes106

Registered Member
Yup, like dDave said, most books you want to read won't be available online, at least not for free, so I think you're stuck paying if you really want to read that study guide.

You can actually find some pretty good books online for free though that have expired copyrights. For example, I finished "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells over my work shifts yesterday and today. I think that's a pretty good indicator of how slow work has been given I had enough time to start and finish a book :lol: It really is a strain on the eyes though, wooo...I feel all googly eyed now.
I agree with you reading books and screenplays online is very eye straining.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Google has been building a massive library of scanned in books but as far as I know only older books have been made available online so far through this, for obvious copyright reasons.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
i used to read books online, but not anymore. i get a headache if i stay for too long infront of the screen.
plus, you can't concentrate yourself enough as you do when you read it on a paper.

Jessticles

Registered Member
I dislike reading books on the computer, so I'm not sure of the technicalities to it - though I know for sure that all of the classics are available for free online.

knoxbox

Registered Member
hrm, not sure of your eye problems with a computer, i've been on them since i was 4 or 5 years old and im 26 now... i don't like reading books on a computer, but its not because of the eye strain... i do however read books on devices, such as zune, ipods, but recently now that i have an iphone i read alot on my iphone using the stanza ebook reader... if anyone has ever used a kinder ebook reader it similar in the aspect of ease on the eyes... but even if it wasn't i wouldn't have that issue.

as far as obtaining books online, anything thats a best seller can be had, but not through legal means.

if that guide is very popular it can be obtained, but like i said depending on if your wishing to keep it legal or not would depend on your method of obtaining such.

i recently was in borders, and now some books when you purchase them you can recieve a digital version as well. for use on devices such as kindle or sony ebook reader, or iphones itouchs ipods whatever you have.

i have friends that are purest and believe books should be read in books not through electronic means, but im not that way, i can lug around a library of books on my iphone and at the push of a button read 100's of books i have downloaded, were as you can't carry near that much in actual books.

the future is headed towards kindle book readers, and i'd say by the time my son now (10 months) is in highschool text books will be on devices such as the kindle. it heading that way... might as well go with the times.

Last edited: