• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Reading Book vs. Watching Movie

Sophia

Registered Member
There are tons of movies out there based on an original book. Do you read the book before you see the movie or read the book after you see the movie? I like to read before I watch so nothing is missed. Movies have a tendency to leave out important details.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
Excellent question! I have done it both ways and I have to say that I prefer to watch the movie (or TV show) before I read the book. First, it is a very rare movie or even a TV show that actually follows the book closely enough to ruin the books, however, reading the book first can ruin the TV show or movie. Case in point is Game of Thrones. Reading the books almost ruined the TV show for me because I knew what was going to happen for the most part. I found myself getting bored or impatient with the TV series in the beginning. It has gotten better now that the show has diverged from the books, but back in the beginning, some of the episodes were really slow going.

Interis

Registered Member
Knowing the original work before the adaptations will most likely disappoint you. If the adaptation is pretty good, then you won't be too disappointed. I usually check the movie first before deciding whether I need to see the book afterward. It's my method to avoid getting burned by disappointment.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't read/watch in any particular order. Most of the time the book will be better, but that's not all that surprising, as it has 300+ pages compared to a couple of hours. I have definitely found the movie version as good or better on numerous occasions though. The Drop & Mystic River (both written by Dennis Lehane) being two examples.

Pepper

Registered Member
I also prefer to read the book before watching the movie. One of my favorite authors is Stephen King and I have seen a lot of differences in his movie adaptations; a lot of details were missing.