Reacting to Insults/Rudeness

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ysabel, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

When someone insults you or displays rudeness/ill manners, how do you react? Are you satisfied with your usual response to this situation?

Do you attempt to stand up for yourself? Do you engage in a discussion? Do you ignore and walk away? Do you become rude in return? Get physical?

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Ignoring it is something I've never been capable of. I know....:-o

It depends on what the rudeness resulted from, but most times I'll respond with a few words, a look, and it's done.

3. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I guess it all depends on what the other person did, most of the time I don't let things or rude people get to me. I try Not to react because I know how Evil I can realy be and it's just best for me to let it go and move on and not snap back or knock the shit out of them for being such an ass.

But every now and again someone will realy get under my skin and then I give them the verbal tongue lashing and try to provoke them into taking a swing, and then it's lights out for them.
    It's been a long time since I have lost my cool and was provoked into a verbal lashing or an ass kicking.

But now a days I find it best to shake them off and walk away, Noone is worth going to jail for.

RATTIE likes this.
  4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

If the person is just stupid/uninformed :duh:, then I stand up for myself and maybe attempt to enlighten the person too but avoid being just as rude as the person (not going to his level).

If I know the person thrives on drama/contrariety :stir:, I will just walk away. Any other reaction is just feeding the monster.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I deal with each situation in kind, I suppose. One thing that has not been mentioned yet, though, is being aggressively nice. Sometimes if someone is being a jerk, and you respond by being nice, they will feel like the jerk they were being, and knock their shit off. Sometimes it work. Sometimes it don't. Either way, though, it deserves a mention.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

My mom gave me this advice a long long time ago when I was the brunt of all the jokes and before I filled out into the heart crushing He-Man I am today.

"You're a duck, just let it all roll of your back like drops of water.... No worries ;)"

Those were her exact words and in all truth I do believe they helped change my life.

ysabel likes this.
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

For those who don't do anything about it (like walk away), how long does it take for you to completely forget about the situation? Like discreetly steaming, lol...

8. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I made a promise to my kids that i would not fight anymore so i tend to just walk away,which is a vbig change from what i was like,there was a time when any argument that got out of hand would be sorted with a few choice words but if they took a swing they went down hard and fast,but to use your fists is and always should be the last resort,a lesson i didnt learn for a long time

9. BStreetBullies

BStreetBullies Registered Member

Of course there is always a line someone can cross, but my line is a lot more out of reach than most people's.

I can pretty much let anything roll of me, I contemplate whether a fight is worth it and msot of the times, it is not, too many people wind up getting stabbed or killed over a stupid mom joke or whatever. When my family or friends are threatened, that is usually when I step up.

But for the most part, if somebody's rude and disrespects me, I can let it go by. I'll give them a look like they're not worth it, and just move on. If I know it is going to bother me later, then I'll address it at the time, but I'm very easy-going and try not to take things people say too personally.

10. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

I'm pretty much the same way. Normally I won't be bothered by rudeness or pathetic attempts at insults, but if the people I care about are the target, watch out. Normally though, I'll respond to rudeness with the "kill them kindness" technique, the "you're not worth my time" look, or I'll just laugh at them for being an idiot. All three usually work out quite nicely. I am guilty of occassionally snapping back though. If I'm having a bad day and someone uses a snotty tone with me, I might just lash out at them...my friends always get a kick when "Kitty's claws" come out because I'm normally so easy going.

Matriqulated likes this.