RAW & NBA Playoffs collide

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Millz, May 18, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I would be very very pissed if I was Vince McMahon. He had the date reserved and the Nuggets dont...I would side with the WWE on this one.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I would side on the WWE on this one as well. And good point about not holding that date by McMahon.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'd be very surprised if the WWE gets the night. After all, what are they going to do about it? They are going to get screwed and the reason is simple. The Nuggets aren't going to give up a home game and considering that the Nuggets owner is also the owner of the Pepsi center, he'll stick it to the WWE.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with Hybrix here... I'm sure the Nuggets will get the airtime. Obviously I'm not an expert in terms of knowing what venues there are in Denver... but I know here in Town where I live there are 2 venues in which the WWE has used at different times.

Does Denver not have an alternate venue for the WWE to use? I noticed the date is May 25... thats about a week away... have they already sold tickets to the event?

But yeah honestly I hate to say it but I'd side with the NBA on this one (even as much as I hate it). I dont know about the NBA playoffs but things like the NHL playoffs can be long and extensive, a game of guesswork really. I mean what is a venue owner supposed to do if a series is expected to be a blowout but ends up going deep, or even the opposite, a series that is expected to go deep but ends up being a sweep. Should the Owner have not made any plans for the whole Playoff slot?

Meh... its just a bad situation. I'm sure it'll probably lead to bad blood between the WWE and the Organizers of the Pepsi Center in the Future. But really... is that the only Venue in that whole town?

5. Millz

I heard there are other options for WWE to go but they'll all be smaller. They'd most likely have to issue refunds because surely they've already sold it out or were close to doing so.

The fact of the matter is that the NBA game will win this because Kroenke owns the building but that doesn't make it right. He fucked up, he should pay the price.

That most likely won't happen though

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's definitely the biggest indoor venue. Next step would be to go to the Bronco's stadium. Mile High Stadium holds around 80,000 people. I'm sure the WWE won't need anything near that big considering that the Pepsi Center only holds 20-25k people.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Well what about smaller? I mean I know it was on seperate occasions but here in town I know the WWE has attended the Savemart Center (18,000 +/- seats) and also the Selland Arena (11,300 +/- seats). I know that when the WWE comes to town they usually pick either or... that there really hasnt been a set precedence that they will always be in the Savemart Center.

Just kinda seems goofy that they are so against choosing a different venue for this case. :hah: But then again... I do hope that if they do they receive some sort of compensation for this problem. Because as been said the WWE will be the one that loses money here on behalf of the Venues F-up.

8. Millz

McMahon was on SportCenter yesterday waiving a Lakers jersey around and says his company and his wrestlers will be at the Pepsi Center next week for their show no matter what.

Should be, uh, interesting haha.
    ------
    WWE has been bumped, of course.

Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals will be played in Denver's Pepsi Center as scheduled, despite a double-booking conflict with World Wrestling Entertainment.

The WWE was unceremoniously bumped from the date, May 25th, despite having booked the arena last August. WWE chairman Vince McMahon hasn't come up with a contingency plan, noting that 'Monday Night Raw' is "the second-largest traveling show in the world to Ringling Brothers."
    ------
    Article from yahoo...

Nuggets, WWE in smackdown over arena confict - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
    ------
    NBA, WWE grapple over Denver booking conflict - ESPN

Same written story but an interview with the Coach and Vinnie Mac.
    ------
    From WWE.com....

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article...?cid=2009EP-00

STAMFORD, Conn. — The Denver debacle that has jeopardized this coming Monday’s edition of Raw in Denver’s Pepsi Center has yielded an outpouring by some of the biggest arenas in the world who have opportunistically offered to host Monday Night Raw live on Memorial Day.
    While working to resolve the scheduling conflict between Raw and the Denver Nuggets’ NBA Western Conference Semifinals game against the Los Angeles Lakers, WWE officials have received proposals from numerous venues including Madison Square Garden and, ironically, the STAPLES Center – the home of the Nuggets’ Monday night opponents, the Lakers. In addition to numerous other venues, these major-capacity metropolitan arenas proposed to have WWE’s flagship program emanate from their locations instead of Denver’s double-booked Pepsi Center this coming Monday.
    As reported by WWE.com and countless media outlets, officials from both WWE and the Denver Nuggets are still attempting to determine a resolution for the scheduling calamity in Colorado’s capital.
    Check back with WWE.com as additional information becomes available on the sold-out edition of Monday Night Raw.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Vince McMahon should make a storyline out of this. They should do what they did during the Monday Night Wars, have a bunch of wrestlers invading the arena and filming it. That would be hilarious.

But seriously, McMahon should of had the arena since he booked it back in August.

10. Millz

I'd love for it to be a storyline...that would amazing!

Did anybody notice in the interview with Coachman he said World Wrestling FEDERATION on accident?? HIlarious.