• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Raw Milk

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've been doing some research on raw milk lately and I'm seriously considering making the switch. Although it's not going to be easy - it's illegal to sell raw milk in 18 states, including Michigan. In fact Michigan was the first state to pass mandatory pasteurization laws.

I had a text conversation with my cousin about it this morning:

Me: I think I'm going to start buying raw milk

her: Is is legal in MI? It's illegal in MD [where she lives]

Me: No, it's not, but my mom knows someone who knows where to get it

this is a conversation about food, mind you, not meth or heroin or any dangerous substance.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
. . . so what did this research tell you?

I've never even heard of someone buying or selling raw milk. It sounds kind of unsafe, doesn't it? Not like I need some shadowy food corporation to sell it to me in a friendly carton, I just figure that some precautions are necessary from a health standpoint but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
One statistic I found was that you're 35,000 times more likely to get a food borne illness from other foods besides raw milk.

The contamination in milk comes from unclean farming practices. If the farmer raises the cows the way they've been raised for thousands of years until the last century, feeding them a diet of organic grass, the likelihood of contamination drops dramatically.

Pasteurized milk is not sterile; any harmful bacteria remaining in the milk after pasteurization will flourish without the good bacteria to keep it in check. There was an outbreak of a particularly resistant strain of Salmonella in the 1980 in pasteurized milk that caused 18 deaths and sickened over 200,000 people in a 9 month period.
------
P.S. don't trust the FDA. It's mostly headed and run by former Monsanto executives.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you have any links to what you read? I would like to read it myself as well. Raw milk sounds good in theory but I'm sure the reduced amount of milk produced might make it expensive to sell and produce.

Also, I've heard plenty about Monsanto recently. But yeah let's just ignore them and worry about all those dangerous pot smokers and gay people.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Courtesy bump!

I'm still weary of it simply due to the bacterial risks. I still haven't read anything that puts some sound science behind it and the odds of getting sick from it.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I wouldn't want to drink unpasteurized factory farm milk. The conditions are horrendous there and cows get mastitis from producing too much milk as a result of growth hormones.

But unpasteurized milk from cows that are allowed to eat grass and roam free is probably safer to drink than pasteurized factory farm milk

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I wouldn't want to drink unpasteurized factory farm milk. The conditions are horrendous there and cows get mastitis from producing too much milk as a result of growth hormones.

But unpasteurized milk from cows that are allowed to eat grass and roam free is probably safer to drink than pasteurized factory farm milk
I can certainly agree with this.

-

I'm not a fan of all the 'fun' added things in common milk products like growth hormones and stuff and it would be nice to just have pasteurized milk, none of these random includes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I had my own cow, maybe, but I would have to have the fat separated from it. I read a little about this and it seems grass fed cows milk is better for you, not surprising, I still might want to pasteurize it. Grass fed cows meat is also better for you, low in cholesterol. But they have to shoot the grain to them to get more product.

Jeanie after reading that link real milk maybe I should get my own cow.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
So not saying it's a pointless cause or anything, wouldn't the case really be against the farms then? Raw milk still brings some bacterial threats with it, obviously less if the cows live a 'traditional life' but I'm betting it's also much more expensive assuming you don't actually live on the farm.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 24
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 6
Unity Wrestling 13
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 20
Pepper Art & Creative 6