• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rapid heart rate

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When I do my cardio exercises, the machine says I should maintain a speed between 120-140. I often go below it or at most 123. Meaning, I don't really over-exert. But I'm trying to monitor the "rhythme cardiac" and I always exceed, even when I'm not feeling tired. I tried to relax but my average hits 160-175 (and from 165, the indicator flashes red). So is this bad? Is there something I should do? :shifteyes:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Yes - SLOW DOWN.

Do not let your heart rate get that high while you're working out, it's extremely dangerous. You don't have to feel like you're getting tired to have an effective workout. Don't listen to the machine, listen to your heart rate monitor.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So it's just slowing down? I already feel sometimes I'm just strolling, haha. I wondered if it's not related to poor breathing techniques.

Impact

V.I.P.
160 heart rate is bad? Even when i'm not trying very hard it's that high, if not higher. To keep it any lower I would have to be going so slow and it would hardly feel like exercise.

Wade8813

Registered Member
You may just have a naturally higher heart rate.

In my 10th grade math class, we did a thing with our heart rates, and then compared them all to each other - the teacher was happy because I provided an outlier (on the high side). And we were just sitting in class.

Later I job-shadowed a nurse at a hospital, and he checked my heart rate for fun, and was surprised by how high it was.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
160 heart rate is bad? Even when i'm not trying very hard it's that high, if not higher. To keep it any lower I would have to be going so slow and it would hardly feel like exercise.
That's how I feel too sometimes so I don't mind so much when it goes to 165, altho I do go beyond it too. I'm a stalker sometimes and check other people's machine and they're like 110 haha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Don't always believe what the machines say, a lot of times there not very accurate. Same thing with how many calories you burn. If you really want to know your real heartrate then do it yourself.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
A normal heart rate for an adult is 60-100 beats per minute. When the heart beats rapidly, it pumps blood less efficiently, causing a decrease in oxygen supply to all tissues including the heart itself. Decreased oxygen flow to the heart leads to ischemia and myocardial infarction - a heart attack.

Please do monitor your heart rate yourself if you feel the monitor you have isn't working properly.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
My heart rate is always extremely high as well. I have had to quit the treadmill because mine gets up to 200 on that.

The workouts feel too "easy" staying in-between the 130-160 range. However, maybe that's why I've always hated exercising. Maybe if I weren't killing my heart at the same time, I would actually start to enjoy it.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
a workout should not be torture. You should not be breathing so hard that you can't speak.