• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rape and Sexual Assault in the Military

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The Military's Secret Shame - Newsweek

It's a bit lengthy but it's worth it.

What do you think? Personally, I'm not too surprised by it (I mean, keeping that many men under strict supervision is only going to breed animalistic behavior and predictable consequences) but then again this is a country afraid of Don't Ask Don't Tell when it seems quite clear there's plenty of sodomy going on already. It makes me wonder how this would affect someone who thinks Don't Ask Don't Tell is a good idea.

What do you think of the article?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I knew there was a problem, but I didn't know it was so bad and so recently.

My experience with the military has been far more positive, but I know part of that is because I got lucky. The story mentioned Fort Benning; I know that is where infantry get their training. Combat focused units have an entirely different culture than the support units. And Active Duty is also quite different from Reserve. Also, since I didn't join until 2005, a lot of the improvements had started to be implemented.

I think often the biggest problem is that there are systems in place that soldiers simply don't know about. If you go to a drill sergeant and he doesn't believe you, you go over his head to his superior. And you keep going right up that chain of command and/or go to see a Chaplain, JAG, or IG. That was one thing that was made clear to me from the beginning - I'm supposed to attempt to resolve any issue on the lowest level (with those right above me), but if it's not getting resolved there, go over their head. I know for a fact that I could talk to any number of Sergeants Major or Colonels (and even a general) if the issue wasn't being taken care of at the lower levels.

Merricles

Registered Member
I'm with Wade on this one. I joined in '05 and have had a very possitive experience with each unit I have served.