RANT! Garage sales

fairyquadmother

Registered Member
If you live in the country, and you decide to have a garage sale, PUT UP SIGNS!!!

One listed in the paper today (3 miles west of kawasaki). Um, ok, I have a general idea. Go to kawasaki, turn left (west) drive 2 miles to the T IN THE ROAD. I ended up turning, hitting the highway, going another 3-4 miles out of town, couldn't find anything so said SCREW IT and came home. May I have my $2.00 in gas back please?

New rule. If there's a garage sale, and I don't know the ppl, or there's no signs, I'm not going. I hate that around here, they do a lot of out of town garage sales. Sheesh, don't have a friend in town?

</rant>

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
I completely understand! Yes, signs on each major corner and if theres alot of space (say 3 miles) between the next turning corner, PLEASE PUT ONE in the middle somewhere so we don't continue drivin out to BFE for no reason!
And if you dont have alot of stuff, please please please please pleaseeeeee try and get together with your neighbors so we dont go out there for one table of used books and some old home videos that you no longer want.

1_ares_1

Registered Member
we have 40 garage sales a week all within a five mile radius where I live. Unfortunately, they are pretty much full of baby clothes that were bought 2 months ago from someone elses garage sale! Maybe pieces and parts of an old broken stereo. If your lucky you might find a "chia pet" hahahah!

helpisontheway

Registered Member
I'm heading out to one tomorrow... 15$ in hand is all I can afford... i'll let you know what I get! I'm going to a Niagara Falls Wine region garage/estate sale of 10 homes on a street. All houses are about 150 years old. They said nothing is over 2$ and any furnature is under 50$... so it should be interesting.

fairyquadmother

Registered Member
Ohh.. that sounds like fun. around here, when someone does an "estate" they assume they can get 12 times as much for it. Sorry hunny, it's still a garage sale. LOL.

I also don't get this easterner thing of not marking anything. If something doesn't have a price on it here, you probably won't sell it!

helpisontheway

Registered Member
I hate these rich people who sell JUNK... I went to 3 garage sales that had about 2-4 houses involved and there was NOTHING. I don't want forks with food on them, or paintings with a fist through it... or plates from Jamaica...

Geeze... today was a flop in my neck of the woods...
But I treated myself to a flower stand!!!

fairyquadmother

Registered Member
I had good luck at one. They had a box of letterpress printers blocks, .25 each (in the antique stores these usually run $3-10 each). I asked them how much for the whole box, and they gave me 45 blocks for $2. :) I think I can actually make a PROFIT off of that one LOL. I kept one "GOP elephant" LOL.

Also picked up a really cute wooden shelf for super cheap. If I can't sell it, I'll find a hole on a wall and hang it :)

Lana

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Just got home from mowing some lawns (I do everything I can for a buck ... almost) I passed an AWESOME yardsale up.. They were already tarping everything down cause it was gonna rain... If it doesnt rain Im goin back!!! They had a huge sign that said "NAME YOUR OWN PRICE" OMG I wanted to stop *cries*

TGirl

Registered Member
fairyquadmother said:
If you live in the country, and you decide to have a garage sale, PUT UP SIGNS!!!

One listed in the paper today (3 miles west of kawasaki). Um, ok, I have a general idea. Go to kawasaki, turn left (west) drive 2 miles to the T IN THE ROAD. I ended up turning, hitting the highway, going another 3-4 miles out of town, couldn't find anything so said SCREW IT and came home. May I have my $2.00 in gas back please?

New rule. If there's a garage sale, and I don't know the ppl, or there's no signs, I'm not going. I hate that around here, they do a lot of out of town garage sales. Sheesh, don't have a friend in town?

</rant>

OMG My hubby and I went yard sellin yesterday too and it seems we were looking for the same one as you....we went out of the city into the country (if that is what ya call it) and we were looking for this Estate Sale (which are my favorite) and we came across this sign with a map drwn on it, but no address.....so we followed the map as best we could....we made jokes that they must not either have addresses out here or they can not write/spell....we went up here and turned down there and turned again there and then went back to the sign after we saw nothing and looked at it again then drove all over Hells half acer and still we found nothing....we complained that we used a quarter of a tank in the Durango trying to find nothing...............we feel your frustration!!!

~Trina~

wolvergambit

Registered Member
I had a garage sale last year and sold $1600 in one day.
I couldn't believe it. I live on a busy street and people when in my driveway at the break of dawn as I was still trying to set up.