Rank the announcers

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
So I was talking with my brother about this last night and thought I'd ask you all to do the same thing.

Rank the WWE announcers...I'm talking Cole, King, Grisham, Ross, Striker and Matthews. Here's my personal order...obviously this is my opinion of what I think of them RIGHT NOW...

#1: Jim Ross

#2: Matt Striker

#3: Josh Matthews

#4: Todd Grisham

#5: Jerry Lawler

#6: Michael Cole

I was thinking of flipping Ross and Striker but I still think JR is still the best of the bunch. Sooner then later Striker will be my number one.

Its painful and ridiculous that I have Grisham ahead of 2 guys who have been doing this for long but King is sooooo stale and Michael Cole is a brainless moron who is painful to listen too. King is painful to listen too as well...together they make a terrible pair. Josh Matthews is nothing special but I couldnt think of putting any of those other people ahead of him...he does a fine job and against those other clowns that's good enough for 3rd!

Thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Jim Ross
Matt Striker
Jerry Lawler
Josh Matthews
Todd Grisham
Michael Cole

I think JR as gone down since he got traded to Smackdown, but he's still my favorite. But just like you Striker keeps going up for me. Hopefully he'll replace Lawler soon on Raw.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
2 for 2 have Michael Cole at the bottom...doesn't that say alot? I mean I didnt hate him until he was paired with King...he's just been atrocious on the live television show.

The problem with King now as well is that he's so dry and its the same schtick and I find him annoying. Vince doesnt trust Cole to deliever so King has had to take a bigger role and I think he fails at it.

Can we get a heel in the mix...SOMEWHERE? For cryin out loud.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know it would be hard, but turn Jerry into a heel. It would be extremely hard to do, but it would be great Raw. Lawler was a great heel announcer a few years ago, people couldn't stand him because he was making fun of everyone and everything. He was so good at it as well.

What the heck, just bring Bobby the Brain Heenan back and make him a heel. That would be a dream scenario.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know it would be hard, but turn Jerry into a heel. It would be extremely hard to do, but it would be great Raw. Lawler was a great heel announcer a few years ago, people couldn't stand him because he was making fun of everyone and everything. He was so good at it as well.

What the heck, just bring Bobby the Brain Heenan back and make him a heel. That would be a dream scenario.
Something else to think about is maybe ranking the announce TEAMS. Cole always seems to be a product of his partner. JR tends to make his partner sound better. So with that said...

Matthews/Striker
Grisham/JR
Lawler/Cole

1: Jerry Lawler
2: Matt Striker
3: Michael Cole
4: Todd Grisham
5: Josh Matthews
6: Jim Ross

That's my list. If Tazz was here he would be number one or two. JBL would also have a high ranking. ;)

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow! I never seen anybody rank Jim Ross as the worse announcer in the business, care to explain why you believe he's that bad? Curious to know why you rank Michael Cole that high as well.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I echo MJ's comments...

Michael Cole has been good in the past (product of Tazz or JBL but I digress) but Jim Ross has been awesome for decades. I also dont hate the fact Vilk has King first because he's been around for so long. Granted King has been terrible since Cole moved in but that's a different story.

So yeah, Jim Ross last is the only question I have with the list.

What about your announce TEAMS? (Asking you both)

Wow! I never seen anybody rank Jim Ross as the worse announcer in the business, care to explain why you believe he's that bad? Curious to know why you rank Michael Cole that high as well.
Honestly, I don't see why people rant and rave over JR. I just don't get it. Whenever I watch SmackDown! I want to put the matches on mute just to not have the commentators speak. At least with a heel commentator it's interesting, though since we have two faces maybe that's why he's at the bottom. Perhaps, if he had a heel partner maybe - and I mean MAYBE - he might rank higher. As of right now and in the past I was never fond or interested in what he had to say. :eek:

How you guys feel about Michael Cole is how I feel about JR.
------
Matthews/Striker
Grisham/JR
Lawler/Cole
Nothing suprising here:

1: Lawler/Cole

2: Matthews/Striker
3: Grisham/JR

Being at #1 doesn't mean that they're the best of the best - just the best of what we got. I prefer listening to Lawler/Cole more so than the other two commentator teams.

Of course, I would always love a John Morrison (face), MVP (heel) commentator team. *drools*

Last edited:

Marvelous1

Registered Member
Breaking up the announce team of Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler is one of the worst decisions in WWE history! Good ole JR and the King always brought out the best in each other, something that is not happening with either of their current partners.