Randy Orton

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is clearly the biggest star in the WWE today. His pops are louder then Cena's. He might not sell as much merchandise but he's more over then anybody we've seen in a long while.

The RKO is just as over as Orton is...it's as over as the Stunner used to be or Sweet Chin Music or the Diamond Cutter.

His celebration after his WWE title win was awesome...the fans didn't shut up the entire time. He was going to leave but they refused to stop cheering. I read his lips...said something along the lines off..."go up (to the top rope) again? Ah fuck it, why not."

Its no longer a St Louis bias from me...Randy Orton is simply the best in the world.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Randy Orton is on a hot streak right now, I didn't expect him to reach this level in such a short time. The booking for Orton has been great and it's really helping him. His emotions during a match are great, and he hits the RKO out of no where which is always exciting. He's definitely the most over wrestler in the business today. Let's see how long he can carry this popularity.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Did you watch NOC and notice how Jericho gave Orton last billing in his pre-match promo? "...Cena, eliminate. Orton, eliminate, eliminate, eliminate."

It may have seemed incidental, but positioning like that is a conscious writing decision and to me it signaled an acknowledgment that Orton is the best they've got. His in-ring persona is so vicious and his expressions so much fun to watch that I sometimes laugh right through his finishing segments. I used to hate Randy Orton because he had no perceptible personality. That drawback was even made fun of on-screen by another worker, in a 'worked shoot'. Now, I think his complete lack of projected humanity, combined with his superb and unique tech skills, is the coolest thing ever to hit wrestling. I can't even imagine room for improvement. The guy must have been raised on the best corn-fed steaks money can buy.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Did you watch NOC and notice how Jericho gave Orton last billing in his pre-match promo? "...Cena, eliminate. Orton, eliminate, eliminate, eliminate."

It may have seemed incidental, but positioning like that is a conscious writing decision and to me it signaled an acknowledgment that Orton is the best they've got.
I noticed that too, and figured it was a good sign for Orton's place in the company. Cool of Jericho to do that subtle "putting over" of Orton.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Randy Orton is great, his character is one of the best characters of all time. He kind of reminds me of Stone Cold alot. With his RKO out of nowhere, you never know when The Viper will strike, and like Stone Cold the fans turned them both face. He was getting pops in most arenas during his last heel stint. I like this guy, he knows how to wrestle, unlike Cena. He is the new face of the WWE..bye bye Cena

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I suppose I can chime in as a distant bystander and I have to say I see Randy Orton finally making the push even in my Circles as bigger than Cena.

Which to me is a very very very welcome thing. Cena was garbage in my opinion, I didnt care for him. Orton is much better and I'm glad to see that he's getting the Spotlight as much as he is.

I loved the part in the OP about how the RKO has reached "Stunner" or "Sweet Chin Music" status. Thats an interesting concept that to be honest I'd never really taken into consideration. The signature is such a special thing, that even the Top Wrestlers dont always have the recipe for that "Stunner Status". Take Cena for instance, He's been lead for so long now and yet I'm not even sure what the hell his Signature is? Five Knuckle Shuffle? The exaggerated Firemans Carry thing he calls the "FU", heh, point is whatever his signature was it just didnt have that status.

The Stone Cold Stunner is iconic, hell I still run around today Stunnering giant stuffed bears every chance I get. I can see the RKO getting that big, maybe not as Big... but darn close.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Which to me is a very very very welcome thing. Cena was garbage in my opinion, I didnt care for him. Orton is much better and I'm glad to see that he's getting the Spotlight as much as he is.
Thank you! Finally someone who feels the same way I do.

There's no doubt that Randy Orton is the best in the world at what he does. I love the evolution of his gimmick. I like how his character is extremely neutral. You just never know who he's gonna turn on and when. And of course, this goes without saying, but I'd much rather have him in the spotlight than John Cena. Cena wore out his welcome years ago (for me atleast.)

Orton is great, ive really enjoyed watching his career from the beginning. Its funny though, he's the only one that came over from OVW who's really in the spotlight in any way. Sad though, I mean Batista blew it, Cena wore out his welcome, Shelton isn't around anymore, Lesnar is gone too...So the fact that he's still here and back in the spotlight is impressive in it's self.

He is the new face of WWE, and I feel good knowing that. With Cena as the face I was always looking for him to screw up, but Orton has pure raw talent and he's a pure natural too. And as far as the RKO being on the same level as the Stunner and Sweet Chin Music...I completely agree, it's one of those moves you can hit out of nowhere, and it's fun to watch.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Orton is great, ive really enjoyed watching his career from the beginning. Its funny though, he's the only one that came over from OVW who's really in the spotlight in any way. Sad though, I mean Batista blew it, Cena wore out his welcome, Shelton isn't around anymore, Lesnar is gone too...So the fact that he's still here and back in the spotlight is impressive in it's self.

He is the new face of WWE, and I feel good knowing that. With Cena as the face I was always looking for him to screw up, but Orton has pure raw talent and he's a pure natural too. And as far as the RKO being on the same level as the Stunner and Sweet Chin Music...I completely agree, it's one of those moves you can hit out of nowhere, and it's fun to watch.
I can understand if you don't personally like Cena, but how can you logically say that he wore out his welcome? Maybe that's true with some fans, but even though Randy Orton is my favorite wrestler in any company I'd still say that Cena is the face of the WWE.
------
(P.S. - sorry to stray off topic, not trying to hijack the thread into one of our usual talks about Cena, lol.)

What Bubbles mentioned about his character being neutral rings true, I love what he said on Monday when talking to Sheamus. something like "I've hurt a lot of people, some deserved it...others didn't. I'd punt my grandmother if it meant getting this title. I'd punt your grandmother in the skull just to see the look on her face!"

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Randy Orton's character is as close to an "attitude era" character as we've seen in some time IMO.

The fact he doesn't talk that much helps him out because when he does speak out it has extra meaning and significance. It's amazing where his character has come since his debut.