Random Thoughts and Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ComePlayCents, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ComePlayCents

ComePlayCents New Member

So i've been thinking about something recently and i kinda wanted to share the idea, i wanted to create something similar to wikipedia, except that instead of an encyclopedia, it would just be a page where you would kinda ask random questions or put up random ideas up, and after that the community could spend time looking into it and post up their own ideas and opinions on the subject. It kinda came from the fact that in my Physics class we randomly talk about stuff and get off track and learn things that have nothing to do with physics but is really interesting. Like some kid asked why the 'We Trust In God' in the US currency, so we decided to look it up, and it kinda led to a class discussion about other random stuff that popped into our heads. How does that idea sound? lol

I'll start off with my first questions...

1. How do we know if something is 'good'? or, How do we define the word 'good'?

2. I've caught myself a few times acting differently depending on who's around me, so...do we really make actions on our own accord, or just react depending on the situation? (Do we realize when we wear masks, and how do we know who our true personalities are if we dont? Or is that just part of our personality?)

Thats all i really got for now, i guess, thanks for anyone who replies to this. With my idea, i was hoping to expand it into something larger than a forum on a website, but im not really sure how the development for that would go.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If you're posting questions and getting answers and opinions from other people, how does this differ from a forum, or what are the advantages over a forum?

3. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

It doesn't. That's precisely what a forum is.

forum /f'ɔːrəm/

• forums plural
    A forum is a place, situation, or group in which people exchange ideas and discuss issues, especially important public issues.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Then how is it similar to Wikipedia and "bigger than a forum" if it is just a forum?

5. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

There's no such thing as "bigger than a forum". There is no magical size limitations on forums. Forums can get massive, as sites like Gaia prove.

They want something that covers many subjects in a discussion format. That people can come back at anytime to bring up old topics. That's a forum.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Maybe by "larger than a forum" he means larger than forums that currently exist?

Also, when you say "How do we know if something is 'good' ", do you mean good in the moral sense? Do you mean beneficial? Or something else?

7. ComePlayCents

ComePlayCents New Member

I dont exactly want the layout to be like a forum, i want it to be like a cross between wikipedia/yahoo answers, kinda more structured than a forum.

And yes, speaking of good as in a moral sense.

8. ComePlayCents

ComePlayCents New Member

Forums are open to everyone, which makes it also less credible, which gives it the same issue as wikipedia, i wanted something a little more structured, also the threads and layout of a forum doesn't really match what i had in mind. Most people dont really go onto forums for information, its more of an entertainment thing from what i've experienced.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

You went to a forum for information...

10. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I have a random thought: why is it that all the hot chicks work at every other suite in this area but the one I work at?