• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Random Sports Thought Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Big day for Canadian Tennis. Pospisil is taking on Andy Murray right now in the Quarterfinals. It just started. I simply cannot stand Murray, so I hope Pospisil beats him. But, it will be very tough. If Pospisil can win one set, it would be a good day for him.

So, here's hoping for a huge upset. He's so entertaining to watch.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Djokovic vs Gasquet and Murray vs Federer in the semis.

Gasquet had a long 5 setter against Wawrinka, so we'll see if he has enough left in the tank to compete with Novak.

The other semi is a toss up, but I'd probably give the edge to Federer. Just have a feeling he has some Wimbledon magic left in him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should be two great matches. I think Federer will win. He's playing great Tennis right now, and it seems that he's back on his game. Also, we all know how much he dominates at Wimbledon. Their head-to-head record is pretty tight. 12-11 for Federer.

Since we're on the subject of Tennis. I will be attending the Men's Single Semi-Final and the Men's Doubles Semi-Final(all in the same day) at the Rogers Cup in Montreal in August. This will be my second time watching Tennis live, and the first time was simply outstanding. Did help it was Djokovic vs Federer.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Tiger shot a 76 in the first round of the Open, 11 strokes behind the leader, Dustin Johnson, and 4 strokes behind...David Duval. He's well on his way to missing another cut.

His world ranking is down to #241. If it weren't for all of his exemptions, he wouldn't even have a PGA Tour card anymore.

Mmm, schadenfreude.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
As someone said on Mike & Mike this morning, Tiger Woods is becoming an afterthought for now. He'll always be a legend, but if he doesn't up his game guys like Jordan and Rory are going to be at the forefront of everyone's mind. I know they're the ones getting me to start watching some golf again.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The joy people take in his bad play is kind of odd, like they've won something. He has 14 major victories. By my count, he has to give back none of them.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
His victories don't make him a good person.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What's odd about it? It's no different than taking pleasure in watching your most hated teams lose, like the Yankees or Patriots or whatever. In Tiger's case, he's earned it with his lousy personality, lack of appreciation towards his fans, poor sportsmanship, and sleazy decisions he's made in his personal life. I don't care how many majors he's won. His past success doesn't make him a more likable person in any way.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I mean, I get why people don't like him. But it's not like he's blowing a game in the bottom of the ninth here.

The subtext of the anti-Tiger cheering is that he won't get to 18 majors, so he's somehow failed.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I still root for Tiger and I think if he ever figured his shit out it would be awesome for golf

Just doesn't seem possible though