Random Sports Thought Thread

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
For sports posts that don't deserve their own thread.

So how about Dustin Johnson 3-putting from about 13 feet to lose the US Open? I feel a little bad for him, but not too much. He still made $1 million for finishing 2nd and is doing blow off of Gretzky's daughter.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
That was still a brutal way to end a major tournament...but yeah, its not all bad for him haha

What was up with the course? It looked like the British Open. (grass color wise, i mean )

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Louis Oosthuizen 77 - 66 - 66 - 67 -- 276

I wonder what's tougher for these guys, losing like Johnson did or losing like Oosthuizen?

With Johnson, the three-putt is brutal but you can essentially narrow it down to that one putt costing you.

With Oosthuizen, losing by one and then thinking back to all of the shots he probably left out there on Thursday, it's a different kind of torture. If he even shoots a 72 he runs away with this thing.

Every golfer can think of those shots on Thursday and Friday, though, so maybe it all washes out the same.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Not only did the course look bad, but from everything the players said, the greens were just terrible.

I'd say it's definitely tougher to lose the way DJ did. He had the championship on his putter on the 72nd hole. That's what they all dream of.

Also, after shooting a 77 on Thursday, there is way less pressure on you and you can go out there and play like you have nothing to lose. I imagine there's a lot of pressure when you're playing in the final groups on Saturday and Sunday, which Oosthuizen didn't have. Of course, he's handled pressure before, so who knows.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The greens were bad, but I don't think the whole course stunk. It is visually striking and posed a real challenge for shotmaking.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You know you're getting old when everyone in the U.S. Senior Open are guys you used to watch on the PGA Tour.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I watched the NASCAR race at Sonoma today and all I could think about was "Why isn't there an F1 race on today?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm hoping he didn't understand where his investment went. Golf isn't a strong enough sport to deal with their own Pete Rose.