Random Drug Testing

Dabs

Registered Member
Do you think random drug testing is an invasion of privacy??

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Yes. What I put in my body is my business, as long as I'm not showing up to work high or something. It only matters if you enter into a legal contract as a terms of employment. Then it can be done during work hours.

ssvs04

Registered Member
Do you think random drug testing is an invasion of privacy??
It depends. If you are going to work for a employer then its his right to request a drug test. The owner is taking all the risk in his business not you. If you want to start your own business then take all the drugs you want. The only one thats going to fail is you.

Dabs

Registered Member
It's odd how they do the random testing tho..I have to wonder just what they refer to as 'random'.
I say this because, several years back, my Mother and my ex husband (we were married at that time)....both worked in the same carpet factory.
And they did the random drug testing....my then husband is a pot smoker and drinker, they never got him not one time in those damn things!
But my poor Mother, she would get so aggravated, here she was a hard working simple woman, who never did drugs ever, and they got her about 4 times~
My ex is still with the same company, been there for 25 years, so he must be a lucky duck.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
If it's in a place of work and the type of work where you can literally put your life in danger if you are not 100% sober minded, then I think yes, it's your employers prerogative to include random drug testing in your contract. I don't think it should become a trend where any work place just randomly tests for drugs though. It's a thin line, I know, but that's my two cents.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've been drug tested three times in my life. One for applying for a job and two for working on Federal Jobs. An interesting thing is, my company doesnt do random drug testing itself. However when we work on Federal Projects and even some State Projects like Schools and such... they will require Finger Printing, Background Check, and Drug Testing.

We actually have a few guys on the crew that are basically just for those jobs. We are confident that they can pass the background check and can trust that they'll pass the Drug Testing.

I myself believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The way I'm seeing it... if I'm paying someone to work on my job site, I should be able to make sure that I'm not going to have some sort of illicit drug use happening behind closed doors. The Insurance risk alone is worth the hassle of paying for site wide Drug Tests.

who never did drugs ever, and they got her about 4 times~.
So how did they get her if she never did drugs?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I think that she meant they have random tested her 4 times, not that she failed the tests.

I've been randomly drug tested once. They cut my hair to do it. I was actually pissed about it, as I did not want part of my hair cut for it. It's when I worked at a supermarket when I was a teen.

I'm on the fence about it. I can see it's merits and I can also see it as a waste of resources. I have seen several situations where the "random" drug testing was needed, and other times when it just was stupid.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was drug tested before I got this job but I haven't been since then. They keep saying they are doing random testing but I've never heard of anybody having to take the test.

I don't have a problem with them doing it if they want too. We are professionals and shouldn't be doing any type of drug. Just because you don't come to work high doesn't mean you should do it outside of work. What if you see a client outside of work and you're high as a kite? That doesn't look good for the company.

To add on...

You could make the argument that by my logic you shouldn't be drunk ever either but alcohol isn't illegal whereas drugs are.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
I think that she meant they have random tested her 4 times, not that she failed the tests.

I've been randomly drug tested once. They cut my hair to do it. I was actually pissed about it, as I did not want part of my hair cut for it. It's when I worked at a supermarket when I was a teen.

I'm on the fence about it. I can see it's merits and I can also see it as a waste of resources. I have seen several situations where the "random" drug testing was needed, and other times when it just was stupid.

Yes, thank you Anita, that is what I meant, I apologize for not being more clear icegoat.
This has been several years back....my Mother has since passed away...but when this company would do the random thing, my Mother's name got chosen 4 times, and some people never have gotten tested to this day!
I just wonder how their 'random' works...kwim??
To keep getting the same person over and over, and let others never get foscused on, it's puzzling.
I see the pros and cons of this topic, and to Anita, I would have been pissed too, about the hair cutting incident~

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ah I see, yeah I had read it like your Pothead Ex and Clean Mom worked for the same company and were subjected to the same drug test batteries. And the way it was worded was like he was getting off and she was getting busted :hah:

Dude really Anita? They went with the Hair one? Thats crazy. All the ones I've ever had to do have been the pee in a cup one. lol so I've never ever done any drug in my life... so I knew I wasnt going to que up anything. So the last time I took a drug test I drank 2 full bottles of that Vicious Grape Gatorade and the big can of Blue Demon Full Throttle. When I handed the cup back they thought I had muffed the test because my Pee was a vibrant purple color :hah: